New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New and excited!

Started by xmai77, October 06, 2011, 09:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xmai77

Hello OVAS! I'm finally getting into the SW hobby, though I have been interested in it for a long time. I recently graduated from university and I'm working now so I actually have (a little) MONEY to get into the hobby (sort of...student loans suck)!

I have all my parts except for the RO/DI system. As soon as that arrives I am going to start cycling the system. I have not applied for a membership with OVAS yet, besides the 10% discounts with the sponsors, are there any other perks?

Cheebs

Welcome!!!

There are many perks (which reminds me I need to renew my membership too).

You get the discount at the stores sure, but more importantly you support OVAS as an organization which allows things like this site to run with it's wealth of information and help. There are also several events which I'm sure you would love, like auctions, garage sales, meetings with special speakers, etc... There's an OVAS library, and you also have extra privileges in the classified ads I believe. All these things aren't free, but are made "free" from people who support the cause! I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but being a member is worth it in many ways.

HappyGuppy

Hi there!  Welcome to OVAS and to the hobby!  There are many perks to being a "member", but IMHO the best perk is the like-minded friends you make here.  If money is tight as you imply then of course your member discount at stores more than pays for itself.  But also keep in mind that you can build your tank (contents of it, not building an actual tank) by creatively selecting things, letting them grow, and trading.  You're in salt, which is definitely NOT the cheapest side of the hobby, but with patience, networking with other OVAS folks, trading, etc, you can fill your tank relatively inexpensively... as long as you're patient.  I think the greatest satisfaction of being a member of ovas, again is the friends, the support network of "experts", and then eventually giving you the opportunity to share your interests with other newbies.  Have fun with the hobby!  Nice to meet you!

Greatwhite

Quote from: HappyGuppy on October 06, 2011, 10:07:13 AM
your member discount at stores more than pays for itself.

10% adds up fast in this hobby!!!  I flash my card everywhere I go.  Even though it doesn't say I'm a card carrying member under my avatar over there <--, I sure like my discounts. :)  I'd get an OVAS tattoo, if it didn't expire next september.

NjOyRiD

if you have any questions; please feel free to ask :)
or just pm me :)
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

xmai77

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I think I'm going to get that membership :D.