Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Keeping Discus.

Started by Mettle, October 19, 2005, 02:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

And now we know why he lives in Quebec.  :lol:

Julie

No water bills where I am either.

BD- still wondering where the cobalts originate from?  :?

Julie

Evan

The amount of water changes is of course a subject of much debate.  

A  question that I have seen asked is:  
If one group of discus  were split.  One given daily WC of 30-50% the other every two days(having waste and excess food removed daily).  After 1.5 to 2 years would there be a difference?

Of course everything depends on your tank and what works for you.  For example I have two tanks that are the same (same #, age fish, same food, filtration, light and location).  One tank requires more work  than the other.  Why, who knows.

Really what it comes down to is you have to find the routine that is right for you and your fish.  

Anyway I do daily WC with aged water.  Tanks are clean and there are no copeods etc...

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Mettle"And now we know why he lives in Quebec.  :lol:

3 kids and subsidized daycare is why I live in Quebec.

The soft water and no water bills is just a nice bonus.

Julie:  the cobalts came from a pair in Toronto... so not sure on their precise origins.

Julie

Evan, would you elaborate on why one tank requires more work?

Julie

aidensmomma2000

BigDaddy- Aiden is in subsidized daycare and were in Ottawa  :wink:

Evan

Not sure why.

The sponges get dirty faster.  I clean the intake sponge daily, it has far more junk that the other.

The glass needs to be wiped more.  And it needs a larger WC to maintain the same water quality as the other tank.

Both tanks have the same inhabitants, same lights, filters, temp  and have even beeen running the same amount of time.

Julie

Those dirty pigs, teach them some table manners.  :wink:

Julie

Evan

You know what, that is the problem.  That particular group has splashed me in the face before at feeding time.  They were in such a hurry to get the food....  When they were younger they would be circling at the top,  fins out of the water when I was going to feed them.  Sounds wierd but it happened.

I swear I feed them all the time..

BigDaddy

Quote from: "aidensmomma2000"BigDaddy- Aiden is in subsidized daycare and were in Ottawa  :wink:

The difference is... on this side of the river, salary has nothing to do with subsidies.  It's a flat rate for everyone.  My understanding is that if I lived in Ottawa, I would not qualify for subsidies.