Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dosing

Started by androo303, December 20, 2011, 08:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

androo303

Hello all,

I found this website and am wondering if this is a good starting grounds for dosing my aquarium.

http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/dosing.html

If so, where can I purchase these at relatively low costs??

Current setup:
CO2: starting again soon (gas ran out and need to rehydro my tanks)
Light: 65w @ 6700k
Substrate: Eco complete
Current chems: flourish excel (stopped due to burning vals), flourish potassium.

fischkopp

Rex has been around for a while. It's a good summery he put together there. If you are just starting out with dosing I would suggest you look into EI - Estimative Index - dosing, except that you will have more success maintaining good conditions when you the more than the 50% suggested water changes, basically as much as you can (with clear conscience).

There no exact guide on how to dose as each tank is different in any point. I had good success to start with half of what EI dosing suggests and then observe the growth over 1-2 weeks before I make adjustments. The plants will tell you eventually what is missing.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

androo303

Thanks for the great site!! Extremely informative indeed!! I now have somewhere to start, properly, without shooting in the dark with random unknown pages.

Where is the best place to purchase supplies?

How much should I purchase?

How much will it cost me in general for starting out?

daworldisblack

Quote from: androo303 on December 21, 2011, 04:57:11 PM
Thanks for the great site!! Extremely informative indeed!! I now have somewhere to start, properly, without shooting in the dark with random unknown pages.

Where is the best place to purchase supplies?

How much should I purchase?

How much will it cost me in general for starting out?

I had the same question. Stumbled on this thread but seems kind of dead now: http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=50132.0 but I did look at the website mentioned there for ferts . Seems like customs will cost. However i talked to Errol (Charlie on here) and he said there is a hydrophonics store that tends to carry all the necessary dry ferts. Apparently there are times when some are available and others aren't but more recently they have been keeping up on their stock. Maybe Errol can chime in on this? I'd like to know where I can get ferts locally in Ottawa too. We could probably order from Canadian Aquatics if it comes to that .. Dealt with them before and they are not bad.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

touchofsky

The hydroponics store in Ottawa is B&B Hydroponics.  I believe they are still on Woodward Drive, but I haven't been there in a while.

I called B&B a few weeks ago, and they didn't have KN03 at that time.  I was running short, so I ordered from Canadian Aquatics.  A 6 pound order of dry ferts cost me $20 in shipping.  I don't live in Ottawa, so it would have cost me gas to drive in to B&B, so it was worth it for me, just for the convenience.

morrom

Quote from: touchofsky on December 21, 2011, 05:17:50 PM
The hydroponics store in Ottawa is B&B Hydroponics.  I believe they are still on Woodward Drive, but I haven't been there in a while.

I called B&B a few weeks ago, and they didn't have KN03 at that time.  I was running short, so I ordered from Canadian Aquatics.  A 6 pound order of dry ferts cost me $20 in shipping.  I don't live in Ottawa, so it would have cost me gas to drive in to B&B, so it was worth it for me, just for the convenience.

I second B&B hydroponice, when i stopped by they had every thing I needed. But call ahead just incase.

charlie

Check out this link
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=35307.0
there is a link there for dosing strategies, well worth the price, nothing new or anything that can`t be found on the www for free, but it puts it all in perspective for a nominal fee.