Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ADA article

Started by charlie, January 28, 2012, 08:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Check out this article from ADA - Amano
QuoteBy AQUA DESIGN AMANO CO., LTD.
================================================== ==============================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[KNOW-HOW] Deficient and Excessive Nutrients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whether in nature or in the aquarium, aquatic plants grow through photosynthesis. They absorb CO2 for this essential process but from the viewpoint of nutrients, CO2 is merely a carbon source. Besides carbon, aquatic plants need nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium as well as trace elements such as iron and manganese for healthy growth. If these plants are given an opportunity for photosynthesis only, they will grow big but may show some growth disorder including thin, poor stems and leaves, yellowed leaves and bleached new buds. The cause of these symptoms is lack of nutrients. Nutrients are the source of amino acid, nucleic acid and chlorophyll, crucial to the healthy development of the stems and
leaves of aquatic plants.

In nature, these nutrients are supplied in the form of nutrient salts dissolved in river water or circulating in lakes and ponds. In the aquarium tank, however, a certain amount of minerals supplied through the change of tank water but it is not sufficient in terms of both types and amount. Tap water contains a relatively high level of calcium and magnesium but no iron and manganese in most cases. Even if these elements are contained in tap water, they are most likely to be combined with other substances and become unusable to aquatic plants. For nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium which are actively absorbed by aquatic plants, it is difficult to supplement the required amounts to a Nature Aquarium which has lush plants just by water change. In nature, a sufficient amount of these nutrients is supplied by dissolution of organic matters such as the feces of living organisms and decomposed plants, but they are usually removed from tap water through the purification process. For Nature Aquarium, Power Sand and Aqua Soil containing nutrients and organic matters are used for the substrate for the purpose of nutrient supplementation to aquatic plants. During the initial stage, mainly nitrogen and minerals are released into the water from the substrate but the amount will be lower once the substrate is covered with thriving aquatic plants. Another issue is insufficient supply of phosphorus and potassium in contrast to sufficient, or at times excessive, amounts of nitrogen in the water. Another source of nutrients in the aquarium is fish feces and unconsumed fish foods. These are a source of nitrogen and phosphorus but cannot be relied on as an effective source of potassium and trace elements. As a result, Nature Aquarium in the initial stage is prone to excessive nitrogen and phosphorus, on the one hand, and lack of potassium and trace elements, on the other. Excessive nitrogen and phosphorus contribute to the growth of algae, which affects the appearance of the layout and hinders the healthy growth of aquatic plants
Enjoy
QuoteExcessive nitrogen and phosphorus contribute to the growth of algae
This fact leads to a lot of confusion by some, the question you need to ask your self  is How much is excessive?

touchofsky

I tend to go quite lean on fertilizers, however, I am not totally sure how things will work out in the long run.

I actually can't dose using EI, because my hands and arms break out in a rash from the high doses of fertilizer in the aquarium water.  I tend to have really sensitive skin.

fischkopp

QuoteExcessive nitrogen and phosphorus contribute to the growth of algae

I am inclined to say that this is true only in combination with excessive light. "Excessive" is a quite stretchy term here and really depends on the light levels individual plant species demand. We try to add more and more light to our tanks to give the plants the best conditions, but there is a limit on how much of this light can be used utilized by plants, even with sufficient CO2 available. Any excess will largely be used by algae.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

exv152

Quote from: touchofsky on January 28, 2012, 09:38:12 PM
I tend to go quite lean on fertilizers, however, I am not totally sure how things will work out in the long run.

I actually can't dose using EI, because my hands and arms break out in a rash from the high doses of fertilizer in the aquarium water.  I tend to have really sensitive skin.

Try using long sleave rubber gloves.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

exv152

Quote from: charlie on January 28, 2012, 08:23:00 PM...This fact leads to a lot of confusion by some, the question you need to ask your self  is How much is excessive?

NO3 excess for me means anything over 30-40ppm, and PO4 above 2ppm, but there are other factors that significantly contribute to algae, and the most common in my experience have been inconsistent CO2 levels, and occasional ammonia. But all of which is controllale, if you limit adjust your macro ferts accordingly, reduce the fish load, do 50-70% water changes/week, increase the bio plant mass with fast growing stem plants to outcompete the algae for nutrients.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

I have the long gloves, but it is really hard to work with the plants with those gloves on! 

exv152

Quote from: touchofsky on January 30, 2012, 10:22:27 AM
I have the long gloves, but it is really hard to work with the plants with those gloves on! 

Very true, I also have sensitive skin and found tongs are also good, that and doing my maintenance on the plants during a water change (when the water level is low). Have you used dry ferts directly in the tank or are you diluting the ferts with water before adding it to the tank?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

I was dosing directly dry, but I recently switched to mixing with water. 

I am dosing about 1/4 EI dosing at the moment.  That seems to be keeping my KNO3 between 10-20 ppm.