New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Restart of 66 Gallon Planted Tank

Started by touchofsky, January 12, 2012, 03:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monte

Beautiful tank Valarie. I can't wait to see the after picture. ;D
40 Gallon Breeder

Peekay

It has really taken off.

Looking forward to the after pics... I'm always curious how much people actually cut down.

exv152

Very nice tank. I think the CO2 is definitely making a positive difference eh? There's no looking back now. I especially like your natural plant layout and gravel. Look forward to seeing this get updated.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

I will take a picture tomorrow.  I was at the optometrist today, and by the time I got home, the lights were out  :)

Monte

Didn't want to wake up the kids after they went to bed.

I don't blame you.   ;)
40 Gallon Breeder

touchofsky

It was more that I didn't want to crawl under the tank to override the timer  ;D

So, here is a picture just taken today.  The pruning done on Tuesday was:  the ludwigia on the left side cut down by half, moved one clump of hemianthus micranthemoids, moved some blyxia that was totally swamped up to where the HM was, pruned the HM still in the front so that the proserpinaca palustris (mermaid weed) would show, thinned out the hydrocoytle, and pruned and moved a few pieces of alternanthera.  Next week I will tackle the rotala rotundifolia  :)

exv152

Is that a cryp wendtii bronze on the left front of the tank?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

Most likely.  That plant has been in this tank since 2003  :), when it was first started as a planted tank.  It has gone through many challenges, not the least was when the three goldfish spent some time in the tank after being rescued from a rogue garter snake.  The goldfish kept it nibbled right down to the gravel.  When I restarted this tank as a planted tank, the little nubs that were left sprouted and it has come back quite nicely.  Now, that is a tough plant!

exv152

Quote from: touchofsky on March 22, 2012, 03:46:59 PMMost likely.  That plant has been in this tank since 2003  :), when it was first started as a planted tank.  It has gone through many challenges, not the least was when the three goldfish spent some time in the tank after being rescued from a rogue garter snake.  The goldfish kept it nibbled right down to the gravel.  When I restarted this tank as a planted tank, the little nubs that were left sprouted and it has come back quite nicely.  Now, that is a tough plant!
You're lucky, cryps are not always so hardy. I think the key to keeping healthy cryps is consistent water parameters. They don't seem to do as well when the CO2, ferts etc change the parameters drastically. I have pond snails and mts in my tank and they're constantly eating away at the crypt leaves. My compliments on the tank, you done a good job of adding a good variety of plant colours and textures to look at - makes it way more interesting.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Looking good Valerie.
I have been lucky with crypts too when i kept them . they proved to be hardy & never had the common issues with them.
Errol

touchofsky

Thanks, both of you  :)

I have good luck with crypts.  They must like my water, since I don't ever seem to have problems with them melting when transplanted or that kind of thing.  Even my pond snails don't bother them ... I guess I have well behaved ones  ;D

Next week I am going to do some pruning to the rotala.  I ran out of time the other day