Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Polypropylene fittings and GE I, are they safe?

Started by lucky777, April 21, 2012, 02:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky777

I saw in the DIY section the custom caves the one guy had made.  My local hardware stores didn't have much for PVC options for making the caves. However the is an abundance of polypropylene fittings including some nice size elbows.  I ended buying a few of them, but before begining my project I thought I would check in with everyone here.  I do see polypropylene  is used in all sorts of products including ones used to store food for human consumption and also it look like the same material my Fluval is made of. 

Does anyone here have an opinion on using the polypropylene fittings to make the caves?

Also I've read and read about different silicones you can use but never got a clear answer.  Can I or can I not use GE silicone I for Window/door/Attic/Basement clear?  I know it says not for aquarium use, but I figure that just for liability in case you use it to built and aquarium. I just trying to make so sweet little caves for my dwarves to hang out in.

Is GE I safe?

Thanx ahead of time

JetJumper

I don't see an issue with Poly fittings at all.  Lots of people use them for tanks.

As for the silicone, please read this thread
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=53360.0
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

touchofsky

Home Hardware sells a clear silicone that is marked aquarium safe.

Saltcreep

All I've ever heard, and practised is if it's clear or black, you're good to go. If it's white, it probaby has mold or mildew inhibitors in it - Stay Away.

lucky777

Returned the GE I an went and got the brand from Home Hardware which is clearly labeled on the front "Aquarium Safe" and sold by the large or small tube. Also bought some PVC after reading http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Feature-Articles/Is-Plastic-Poisoning-Our-Tanks?-(10/11/10) .

However went to the local michaels craft store and found some river rocks and pebbles. The girl said there was no lacqeur put on them. I came home built my caves and now I'm paronoyed that I may have problems with them.

I googled the brand "Panacea" and they seem to be sold everywhere and they claim they are "great for aquariums". Has anyone ever used "panacea" rocks in their tanks?

lucky777

Is it weird that the Silicone from Home Hardware says "Aquarium Safe" in giant letters on the pront of the bottle, but that it contains "petroleum distillates" ?

zenins

Quote from: lucky777 on April 22, 2012, 12:37:17 AM
Is it weird that the Silicone from Home Hardware says "Aquarium Safe" in giant letters on the front of the bottle, but that it contains "petroleum distillates" ?
The petroleum distillates are used to make the silicone flow and they gas off anyways to allow the silicone to cure.
Let the silicone sit after applying for at least two days before exposing to water.
I have used the Home Hardware clear "Aquarium Safe" silicone for years for small repairs with no issues  :)
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards