Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

unknown fish! with no photo :(

Started by Nerine, October 25, 2005, 02:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

ok here's a good question...what looks exactly like a zamora woodcat, but gets to be about 4 or 5 feet? I was watching what not to wear wanna be..(i'm going to write to them too) and being bored out of my mind almost changed the channel when they were interviewing this girl and behind her was a beautiful tank, VERY cloudy though...and this MASSIVE fish in it! one was bigger than her head (possiblely a pacu) and the others looked exactly like my zamora woodcats but bigger than this pacu looking fish...black body with white bellies...maybe a shark?? what other types of catfish can get that big? I already ruled out channel catfish, wrong body type and wrong fins.
any ideas anyone?
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

mseguin

Probably some kind of D shark. Pangasius spp.

Mettle

Either or in my opinion.

I was thinking ID shark too. But red tailed cat is also a good guess.

Nerine

nope not a red tail :(

I did some more research on pangasius, and I think it is definatly one of them...maybe not an ID shark, but something in that family!
thanks for the ideas :)
people really shouldn't keep large fish in small tanks, really makes me mad...at least now I can say no to people who want to buy a pangasius because their tank is too small.
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

aidensmomma2000

Im pretty sure pangasius is another name for ID shark, no?

Nerine

pangasius covers a large family of catfish :) some reaching only a few feet to the giant pangasius that weighs almost 700 lbs!