Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DYI Cree LED lighting

Started by kevin, September 27, 2012, 09:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Hi all,

Thought I would throw this out there. I'm an electronics/ audio visual/ IT tech who just picked up a DYI Cree LED setup whom the person I bought it from did a butcher solder job and almost half the lights weren't working. Well, i've completely ripped them appart and am in the process of re doing them. I now know these systems inside out. I find it rediculous the amount of money these lighting units are sold for and is in no way justified IMO.

Kevin

JetJumper

Some of the systems out there are worth the investment.. many others are overpriced.  I have personally built many LED lighting systems both for manually control and automatic from a Arduino and/or ReefKeeper controller. 

It all depends on what kind of look you are also going for.  Lets face it, there is only so far the home user can go where as injection moulding and other techniques that large companies can afford to use in batch runs have their advantages over :)

Be careful offering your services as well.  If any of your devices cause a fire you can be held liable.  My reasoning for not building any fixtures for reselling.  Its just not worth the risk.  I am very confident in my skills, however I am not confident that people will not open the box up and alter things and then blame me that it set their house on fire...

Just a word of warning...

Good luck!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

kevin

Good point, but I am a certified electronics technician and am not worried about my work causing fires. Thanks for raising the point however.

Kevin

kevin

I also beleive that by running boxes of water full of power, fire is always going to be a risk.