New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Duty free shopping limits are going up

Started by exv152, May 31, 2012, 04:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exv152

Good or bad? For me, I've done a bit of cross border shopping for aquarium stuff, and I know I couple of other hobbyists who do the same. This can be a great thing for all those who have a hard time finding unique items at decent prices in Canada. I for one applaud this move. I always thought the $50 duty free limit for 24hr was nonsense.  But for $200 I can think of a huge list of things worth driving down for.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/05/31/ottawa-duty-free-purchases-canada-usa-border.html
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

DrReefer

Darth

the $200 is just for shopping at the duty free shop, not anywhere else across the border it seems

The change means travelers returning from a 24-hour trip can spend $200 at the duty-free shop, four times the current $50 limit

exv152

The article is not well written, and the national post has the same article with the same error. The new exemptions are applicable to any items purchased anywhere in the US. See CBSA link...

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/106-eng.html
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

mmaisonneuve

Still remember that 24hrs means you have to sleep over !!! that will add to your cost
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

Greatwhite

Quote from: Darth on May 31, 2012, 10:28:35 PM
the $200 is just for shopping at the duty free shop, not anywhere else across the border it seems

Hmmm.. no... It's anywhere.  I've been watching this closely because I travel often to the states for 3 days at a time.  I'm never there long enough to buy anything big, which the wife likes.  But now, 3 days puts me into the $750 mark.

It's not good for the Canadian economy at all, as it's only encouraging people to drive across the border, roll into a hotel for the night or 2 - and hit the outlet malls, rather than spending that money locally.

I think that these limits should only apply to me, and people like me.  I work for an american company from canada, so every dollar I make is coming from US and adding into the canadian economy.  Shoot, while I'm demanding changes for super amazing people like me - I want a dedicated line through customs no matter where I am crossing...  And a mobile Tim Hortons ready for me 24/7. :)

exv152

I agree it's not good for the Canadian economy, but at the same time when you look at it from the perspective of the consumer, they want a bargain and want things they can't get locally and don't want to pay an arm and a leg in HST, duty and shipping.  The same thing applies to all those Ottawans going down to Ogdensburg to catch a much cheaper flight http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/04/21/ottawa-ogdensburg-airport-competition.html.  Or those interested in books, which for some ridiculous reason Canadians are being gouged when our dollar is at par or stronger sometimes than the USD. The same is true for those buying new and used cars in the US.  In the end I bet cross border shopping represents a very small percentage of lost revenues when compared to all purchases made in Canada. That's probably why the conservatives passed this in the last budget. So in the end, it's really not so bad for the Canadian economy, and really good for hobbyists like myself who cross the border a handful of times a year and who have their eyes on some exclusive aquarium products and stores that were just not an option before. Ahh yeah!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bt

Quote from: exv152 on June 01, 2012, 12:46:08 PMThe same thing applies to all those Ottawans going down to Ogdensburg to catch a much cheaper flight

Wait, I can get flights out of Ogdensburg?  I always drove to Syracuse (and it was still cheaper than flying out of Ottawa)...

exv152

Quote from: bt on June 01, 2012, 02:50:13 PM
Wait, I can get flights out of Ogdensburg?  I always drove to Syracuse (and it was still cheaper than flying out of Ottawa)...

Yup, with apparently free parking too, and thanks to US fed subsidies and lower fuel prices a ticket can be much cheaper.
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bt

Oh, only to Boston or Albany though...  Syracuse might still be cheaper, but a possibility for a connector flight!

Severum

I bought a used car a couple of years ago in the US when the Canadian dollar was only 94 cents. With the extra 20% in had to pay in HST and duty I still saved about $10K. I'd encourage anyone to buy down there and this duty free increase will make me shop there even more.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

salvini55

Steve does that mean you have to convert MPH to KPH when driving OR do you squint to see the KPH on the speedometer?  :P

Jeff1192

Great news for the annual Black Friday shopping run that my wife and I do. Have been doing it for 3yrs now and we do almost all our Christmas shopping that weekend.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Greatwhite

Quote from: bt on June 01, 2012, 03:39:57 PM
Oh, only to Boston or Albany though...  Syracuse might still be cheaper, but a possibility for a connector flight!

We flew to Florida last winter out of Syracuse.  The best thing was, after landing, we rolled into a hotel for the night and hit the outlet mall in Waterloo the following day.  We were able to do A LOT of shopping, and not have to worry about getting it on the plane in luggage.  Straight into the van, and home.

Severum

Quote from: salvini55 on June 01, 2012, 05:31:06 PM
Steve does that mean you have to convert MPH to KPH when driving OR do you squint to see the KPH on the speedometer?  :P

Aside from analog my car's speedometer also comes in digital format which i can switch between kph and mph. Most newer cars should have this, unless you're looking for a 2012 pinto.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef