New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Driving Schools In Ottawa

Started by daworldisblack, May 28, 2012, 05:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

I am always in awe of the knowledge and experience of the folks here on the forum when it comes to anything aquatic but also other stuff so thought I'd give this a shot :)

I am looking to enrol in driving classes at a local driving school and am wondering about experiences and recommendations that anyone of you had? I have my G1 and wanted to get some lessons prior to getting my G2. I have no experience whatsoever when it comes to driving (I grew up in singapore where a car is literally worth an arm and a leg  ;D so I bussed everywhere) and for university I lived on campus or close to it and biked/walked to school. Hence my need for classes  ;)

Thanks for any information you may be able to offer!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bettabreeder

I had drivers ed through dtsm and it was really helpful. Reading over the drivers handbook again is beneficial as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

androo303

It's been soo long since I was in drivers ed (12+ yrs), and if I were to give you their name you wouldn't be able to find them as they went belly up.

Saltcreep

Well, mine was little longer ago than that - 1972. It was Omega driving school. And get this, the two instructors were Brian Quirk and Bob Skidmore. No joke. Took it all through high-school so is was FREE! I hear DTSM is good too.

Malyon18

When I did drivers ed i did it through young drivers and was pretty satisfied with the course.

https://www.yd.com/default.aspx
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

exv152

I also did DTSM back in 1987 and they're still around, so that should count for something.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

daworldisblack

Thanks guys.. Yes DTSM seems to have more favourable reviews as well. YD seems to cost more for no reason from what I've read. Thanks guys!

Greatwhite

I grew up in the hood and learned to drive on the streets...

Hookup

Quote from: daworldisblack on May 28, 2012, 10:30:00 PM
Thanks guys.. Yes DTSM seems to have more favourable reviews as well. YD seems to cost more for no reason from what I've read. Thanks guys!

I took YD and it was more expensive back in the 80's then too... however it was supposed to be "more recognized" on insurance for a better discount... never confirmed...

Leucotome

Quote from: Hookup on May 29, 2012, 11:37:01 AM
I took YD and it was more expensive back in the 80's then too... however it was supposed to be "more recognized" on insurance for a better discount... never confirmed...

If true at one point, definitely not true today.

Edit: I work as a project manager for an insurance company. If you've got questions, I've got answers!

daworldisblack

Quote from: Leucotome on May 29, 2012, 03:07:52 PM
If true at one point, definitely not true today.

Edit: I work as a project manager for an insurance company. If you've got questions, I've got answers!

Thanks! I read that was the case as well  - and that YD are riding high on that notion still and charging exorbitant amounts. Thanks for the offer, might PM you if its not too much of a hassle :p

Leucotome

No problem at all, feel free!

Severum

I only took driver's ed to get a savings on my car insurance. I went with DTSM because it was cheaper than YD.

Do I remember anything from when I took the lessons? No
Would I take the lessons if there was no insurance savings? No
Can you learn to drive well just by reading the handbook and driving with an experienced driver? Yes

Can you find a lot of better fish related stuff to spend a few hundred on than drivers ed? Definitely :)

Just my 2 cents.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

bt

Quote from: Malyon18 on May 28, 2012, 06:55:06 PM
When I did drivers ed i did it through young drivers and was pretty satisfied with the course.

As was I.

Only real advice I'd give is to go with one that has solo driving lessons.  Almost everyone I know who took one that had group lessons was less than pleased with them.

Peekay

Quote from: Severum on May 29, 2012, 04:50:14 PM
I only took driver's ed to get a savings on my car insurance. I went with DTSM because it was cheaper than YD.

Exactly this.  My in-car instructor was garbage too... just a warm legally-required body in the car. 
Hopefully yours will be more instructional!  ;)
Good luck!