Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sympathetic filters

Started by kennyman, October 30, 2005, 07:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyman

I am becoming more aware of Eurohaline (brackish water) invertebrates as my new tank progresses. The life cycle of these creatures is tied directly to plankton, as they have drifting larval stages. I have read that filtration units using impellers, to drive water, pretty much eliminate any planktonic life you manage to get going. Right now I have an airline bubbling through some experienced ceramic rings in an attempt to manage the N cycle. But what type of filter unit can I use to assist the N cycle and keep my tank functional in the long run? Is the old bubbling plastic box my best shot? How much bio-load can one handle?

We are talking about a mid sized tank here, 37g 20"x18"x24". Since it is brackish is it possible to get the live rock thing going? Will that work at a salinity of only 1.0025?

Thanks; ken

jaracas

not sure about this one.
how about using the air driven sponge filters?
i use the double sponge type for my tubs, one of which is efficiently filtering 20g with 4 mid sized angels and 6 cory's, plus if you go that way i can swap a cycled sponge with one of you new ones that way you have a jump start  :D

luvfishies

I wonder if the Hamberger mattenfilter would work in this case?

http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/  is one of the few online articles in ENGLISH. I desperately want to try one of these in my nursery tanks.

kennyman

Very cool article Luv! Thank you for posting that.
And I'll keep that in mind jaracas, allong with the Hygro ;)

Gives me food for thought :D

gator

Kennyman:

I've heard that too, but I've also read from reliable sources (Delbeek & Sprung's books) that impellers have little or no effect on the overall levels of planktonic life.

One good product to try is DTs live phytoplankton.  You can usually find it a better aquarium stores whic specialize in satwater/reef setups.  It needs to be refrigerated, but a little dose now and again will do wonders for your filter-feeding invertabrates, etc.