Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

LEDs Burnt out?

Started by Medym, June 20, 2012, 08:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medym

So I have a small LED DIY fixture and suddenly, today I came home to find all four of my Royal Blue LED lights not working.

On the one Meanwell driver I have 2x 3W Cool White and 4 x 3W Royal Blue running in Series:

Like this is wired like this:

Driver   Driver
|            |
RB         RB
|           |
CW       CW
|            |
RB   --   RB

Power is still running through the series, but all RB lights seem to have failed.  Anyone experienced this before or know what it might be?  It just seems odd as 2 lights are still working just fine.  They are from RapidLED, so I feel good about the source of these lights, just thrown off by this sudden failure.

Any suggestions anyone might have would be great!

JetJumper

Did you end up getting an LED tester from Rapid LED at the same time of order?  If so use it to see if any of them do not work at all individually.. If they all work independently then you will have to check your solder joints.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Medym

Quote from: JetJumper on June 20, 2012, 09:00:56 PM
Did you end up getting an LED tester from Rapid LED at the same time of order?  If so use it to see if any of them do not work at all individually.. If they all work independently then you will have to check your solder joints.

I did not get the tester.  If there was a problem with the solder, then the other lights wouldnt work since the lights are all wired together.  IE if the RB lights stopped working due to a solder, than the whites would have stopped too.  No?

JetJumper

it doesn't make sense why the royal blues would not be working only and the whites are.. unless they are rated for different current?  Are the Coolwhites rated for 1500ma and the blues for 700ma?  Perhaps if one blue LED blew, it caused a chain reaction.. but then again the whites are lighting up so current is still passing through the blues..

Its an odd issue you have.. I would still suggest taking 2 AA batteries, connect them in series to get the right voltage, then take a positive and negative terminal from the battery bank and connect it to the correct poles on the LEDS to see if they light up.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

mmaisonneuve

Wow very odd coincidence !!!! I came home monday to the same issue. All my white, Red and Green are Ok but all the royal blue are gone. Meanwell dimmable drivers.....Cree LED's ! Only difference I got mine from Modular LED.
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

Medym

Quote from: mmaisonneuve on June 21, 2012, 08:10:11 AM
Wow very odd coincidence !!!! I came home monday to the same issue. All my white, Red and Green are Ok but all the royal blue are gone. Meanwell dimmable drivers.....Cree LED's ! Only difference I got mine from Modular LED.

Wow... very odd indeed!!!!!

Im hoping that maybe RapidLED will replace them, but i doubt it.

BOnaqua

I don't think they are dead. If a diode dies, it dies open, meaning they work like x-mas lights...one dead, the whole line is out. Based on that, it's not the soldering issue either.
I would concentrate on the current draw of the RBs and voltage across each LED.
Take a Volt-meter and measure across each LED and also before first and after last LED (across all of them) and let me know what the values are.

mmaisonneuve

I took each one of them one by one and tried them un a different driver (moonlight one and still they don't light up)
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

BOnaqua

If you have a Volt-meter, set it to Volts DC, take the diode out (disconnect) and connect red probe to + and black probe to -. Write down the number. Now reverse the probes (Black to + and red to -), write the number.
Post both numbers here.

Medym

Quote from: BOnaqua on June 23, 2012, 11:03:56 PM
If you have a Volt-meter, set it to Volts DC, take the diode out (disconnect) and connect red probe to + and black probe to -. Write down the number. Now reverse the probes (Black to + and red to -), write the number.
Post both numbers here.

I do have a voltmeter, I sadly have no idea on how to use it! So many dial options and places to plug things.  I dont even know how I got one of these things, but I do have one!

edit: for reference, this is what I have:
http://i.imgur.com/tD38F.jpg

BOnaqua

Plug your black probe into the middle hole and the red one into the right hole.
Set the dial to either 2V or 20 V in the V- area not the V~ (at the bottom of the dial)
Now get those readings.
(you have a retractable probes. You want to slide the black button forwart to expose the probe tip.)

mmaisonneuve

Found my issue :( bad wire....oups...replaced it and everything is A1.

Medym

Quote from: BOnaqua on June 23, 2012, 11:03:56 PM
Post both numbers here.

LED 1: 2.73
LED 2: 0.1
LED 3: 0.05
LED 4: 0.04

Does this mean anything?

BOnaqua

It's hard to tell anything from that.

write it like this...
Red-on-plus: LED1 ____, LED2 ____, LED3 ____, LED4 ____;
Red-on-minus: LED1 ____, LED2 ____, LED3 ____, LED4 ____;

Make sure diodes are taken out when measuring.

Also, if you set your meter to "diode" mode (it's in 4o'clock position, in the "omega" section ~2k) and if you connect red to plus, black to minus, the LED should light up slightly.

Try this and let me know.

Medym

Quote from: BOnaqua on June 27, 2012, 07:49:19 PM
It's hard to tell anything from that.

write it like this...
Red-on-plus: LED1 ____, LED2 ____, LED3 ____, LED4 ____;
Red-on-minus: LED1 ____, LED2 ____, LED3 ____, LED4 ____;

Make sure diodes are taken out when measuring.

Also, if you set your meter to "diode" mode (it's in 4o'clock position, in the "omega" section ~2k) and if you connect red to plus, black to minus, the LED should light up slightly.

Try this and let me know.

I have the measurements at home, but not an issue right now.  The lights would not light up at all.  I have installed new LEDs in their place and the fixture is back up and running!

Thanks all for your feedback