New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Stressed foxface?

Started by dnas17, October 23, 2012, 10:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnas17

Really confused whats going on here, I purchased a foxface on Saturday from Big Als Kanata. When I first bought him he was kinda stressed so he did that colour change and turned into a rotten banana colour. It faded after I acclimated+put him into the tank and he was swimming around happy and fine. However today I have caught him two times hiding behind rocks in fear with that ugly scary color breathing heavy. After a bit hell be fine then swim around the tank then go back to the side of the tank where none of the other fish swim and just lay there motionless he seriously looks like hes about to die. This has happened a couple times. Is this anything to worry about? Als claimed that some of their tanks were having a small ich break out but this one wasnt affected.

Wooki

Quote from: dnas17 on October 23, 2012, 10:13:04 PM
Really confused whats going on here, I purchased a foxface on Saturday from Big Als Kanata. When I first bought him he was kinda stressed so he did that colour change and turned into a rotten banana colour. It faded after I acclimated+put him into the tank and he was swimming around happy and fine. However today I have caught him two times hiding behind rocks in fear with that ugly scary color breathing heavy. After a bit hell be fine then swim around the tank then go back to the side of the tank where none of the other fish swim and just lay there motionless he seriously looks like hes about to die. This has happened a couple times. Is this anything to worry about? Als claimed that some of their tanks were having a small ich break out but this one wasnt affected.

Since you just got the fish this weekend, I would think the the fish is still getting used to its environment and is scared.  If the fish is eating then I would say the motionless thing you are seeing is the fish still getting used to its new home.  Does the fish turn color when it lays motionless?

180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

Dakotamay

I've had a couple foxface's. That's completely normal behavior when they're just settling in. Even a loud noise in the room could do it. The flashing of the tv if you have a tv in the same room. The littlest thing can startle these guys when they're still getting used to their new home. It's neat how they can turn color like that isn't it? Lol.

Is it possible that you have another fish in there who is bullying the foxface when you're not looking? What are your other fish?

robt18

This is normal for Foxfaces even after they've settled in. They'll get the mottled pattern when they sleep too, it helps them blend into the rock work. Nothing to worry about, they're just a little dramatic!

dnas17

I think you all are right, I noticed this behaviour over night. It truly is an ugly colour and really makes it look like the fish is in serious pain. I doubt hes stressed just sleeping. Anyway on the note of another fish bullying him id be surprised, i have a firefish and two clowns both of which are much smaller than the fox and everyone seems to get along well

Dakotamay

Yup. When sleeping they turn that color. Nature's way of helping it to protect itself while it sleeps. Enjoy your fox face. If you have corals in this tank. Keep it well fed. Otherwise it may nip. We had one that started eating brain coral. No matter how well fed it was. Just a heads up.