Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Food for Malawi/Mbuna

Started by repeej, October 28, 2005, 09:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

repeej

What does everyone here feed their Malawi/Mbuna cichlids?

Dory

Tropical fish flakes and cichlid pellets

pegasus

+ spirulina, shrimp pelletts, beefheart, red & white worms, zucchini, peas, trout pellets, seafood/veggy mix, and more

They don't like dog food or pasta or they would get it too. :)

redbelly

wardleys cichlid flake food. the ones they sell here are too small so i buy the big containers in TO when i go back but if you have fewer fish they love this stuff.

they also love zuchini

328iGuy

nothing but the best.....

New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula

mseguin

C'mon people let's keep it civil. You asked what people fed their fish, and he responded. Like he said, NLS is generally regarded as one of the better foods out there. I didn't find anything condescending or boastful about the post. I am looking into getting NLS for my own fish.

328iGuy

Quote from: "mseguin"C'mon people let's keep it civil. You asked what people fed their fish, and he responded. Like he said, NLS is generally regarded as one of the better foods out there. I didn't find anything condescending or boastful about the post. I am looking into getting NLS for my own fish.

Thank you....and again I encourage him to do some research before mouthing off.

I have used Omega One, HBH and MANY other foods and I have yet to come across a food that gives results even CLOSE to that of NLS.

I highly recommend anyone and everyone to switch their tanks to an NLS diet, you will be amazed at the results.  Words can't explain!  :lol:

Also, buy from Cichlid Food Canada and not Big Al's (sorry Matt) because they are taking customers for a huge ride on the pricing.

mseguin

QuoteAlso, buy from Cichlid Food Canada and not Big Al's (sorry Matt) because they are taking customers for a huge ride on the pricing.
I second that. What, did u expect me to buy it from BA :-) ?

328iGuy

Quote from: "mseguin"
I second that. What, did u expect me to buy it from BA :-) ?

Just a word of caution.  :lol:

I Waslked in there months back when they just first started selling it, I saw the prices and went  :shock: .

Dory

I'm sick of people arguing and being aggressive on here.  However, if you're going to argue, please spell correctly.  It lends much more credibility to your argument.

Your = a person's, one's
You're = contraction of you are

I'm sure Webster would agree.

328iGuy

Quote from: "Dory"I'm sick of people arguing and being aggressive on here.  However, if you're going to argue, please spell correctly.  It lends much more credibility to your argument.

Your = a person's, one's

Good for you...you got me..typing to fast!  :D

repeej

Quote from: "328iGuy"
Quote from: "Dory"I'm sick of people arguing and being aggressive on here.  However, if you're going to argue, please spell correctly.  It lends much more credibility to your argument.

Your = a person's, one's

Good for you...you got me..typing to fast!  :D

That would be "too" fast.  Slow down...makes you look UNEMEDUCATED.  :mrgreen:

328iGuy

That would be "too" fast.  Slow down...makes you look UNEMEDUCATED.  :mrgreen:

:lol:

Looks are deceiving!   8)

repeej

Well....Friday afternoon and it's already time for a Beer.

It's been fun!

I'll make sure to pickup some NLS asap Webster.....LOL

328iGuy

Quote from: "repeej"Well....Friday afternoon and it's already time for a Beer.

It's been fun!

I'll make sure to pickup some NLS asap Webster.....LOL

Are you ole enough for beer yet?  :lol:

You know what, I would even highly recommend to YOU that you go and pick up NLS.  Actually order it from Cichlid Food Canada, much cheaper that way!

darkdep

Wow, how did a discussion about food get nasty?  :lol:

Mbuna would drink gasoline if you gave it to them.  There are, as you've read repeej, a lot of variety of foods you can provide.  I would suggest you read up on the optimal diets for the fish you have.  

I personally use about 8 commercial foods in my tanks.  I have recently started using a couple of NLS foods (cichlid formula and Grow formula) but I personally find the protein levels a bit high for some of my fish (a lot of actual mbuna, for example, are mostly vegetarians...so they get mostly spirulina sticks and fresh veggies).

Food is personal, and feeding your fish is probably the time where you interact with them the most...so read about what your particular fish like best.  Especially with mbuna, don't rely on "if they'll eat it, it means it's what they need".  Pretend they are teenagers.  :lol:

kennyman

The HBH 8 Veggie Flake 'super veggie blend' I picked up at BA's has made a big improvement to the overall condition of my mbuna tank. Like Darkdeep mentioned some mbuna dont want the fishmeal in their diet. My Pseudotrophous seem to be one of those types. They had periodical stringy  poop but with the food change that problem is gone. Although the bright green poop shows up alot on the substrate.

328iGuy

I personally use about 8 commercial foods in my tanks.  I have recently started using a couple of NLS foods (cichlid formula and Grow formula) but I personally find the protein levels a bit high for some of my fish (a lot of actual mbuna, for example, are mostly vegetarians...so they get mostly spirulina sticks and fresh veggies).

Don't worry about the protein levels, one of the most picky vegetarian Cichlids out there are Tropheus and they thrive on NLS.  This has no impact on you're mbuna.