Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Amazing rib recipe...

Started by Greatwhite, August 01, 2012, 12:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with a rub... smoke them, and try my sauce recipe.  I'd be afraid of too much deliciousness if you also put a rub on them first!

Stussi613

Quote from: Hookup on August 02, 2012, 10:42:25 PM

Thanks for the tips!  Most recipie are like guidelines and the temp recommendations help a lot!

The cottage has the large egg, I have the XL at home.  The XL is much harder to get temps lower and stable than the large...  That said, I'll be trying this at the cottage this weekend...  Have to do a brisket this fall when there hunting as well...

Thanks!  I'll let you know how we make out!

Have any fav Rub recipie you'd like to share?

Here's my go to for pork:

1/4 cup turbanado sugar 
1/4 cup Hungarian paprika 
1/4 cup granulated garlic 
1/4 cup garlic powder 
1/4 cup black pepper 
2 tbsp cumin 
2 tbsp crushed celery seed 
2 tbsp cayenne pepper 
2 tbsp sea salt 

As you can see, I don't like allot of sugar in my rub, nor do I like a ton of heat.  If you like more of either feel free to adjust. I also don't use much salt in my rubs as i prefer to salt the meat before applying the rub.  Obviously there is a high yield on this recipe. I store in clean dry large mason jars and transfer to a shaker when I'm getting set to rub.

For brisket it's even more simple.

Coarse Ground Salt
Coarse Ground Pepper

That's it. Simple is best with brisket.

And finally, a BBQ sauce that will knock your sockes off, not my recipe...was started by a guy named Steve Petrone and last year this sauce, or a modified version of it won a great many competitions in the US.

No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)

Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

Good luck this weekend!
I haz reef tanks.

Darth

Quote from: Greatwhite on August 02, 2012, 10:54:11 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with a rub... smoke them, and try my sauce recipe.  I'd be afraid of too much deliciousness if you also put a rub on them first!
sorry don't mean to beat on your "recipe" but adding stuff to bottled sauce is like adding parsley to jar spagehtti sauce and calling it a recipe I think we would expect more of a homemade sauce from a self proclaimed recipe master

Greatwhite

Quote from: Darth on August 02, 2012, 11:55:12 PM
sorry don't mean to beat on your "recipe" but adding stuff to bottled sauce is like adding parsley to jar spagehtti sauce and calling it a recipe I think we would expect more of a homemade sauce from a self proclaimed recipe master

What's the difference between taking hickory bbq sauce, and ketchup + spices?  Just sayin'...  It's just a head start. ;)  I'll adjust my recipe to start from tomatoes from my garden, and I'll buy a couple pigs to make sure that there's no seasoning added by Maple Leaf. :)

But seriously though - there's a reason I haven't published my recipe anywhere (aside from sharing it here), because I can't take credit for the bottled bbq sauce base.  I get recipes emailed to me from allrecipes.com daily, and shake my head when I see things like the "add parsley to canned spaghetti sauce" - because that happens a lot!

It looks like Stussi's sauce recipe is pretty similar to mine, if you look closely... I just put all my spices directly in the sauce rather than rubbing it on first (and then more in the sauce).. Some time, try adding a shot of whiskey in there... It really adds to the flavor nicely...

I once made a sauce from scratch with apples and beer, and it was real good - but then I forgot what I did and couldn't reproduce it. :(

(btw - I'm a self-proclaimed rib master, not recipe master... :)  )...... (even though I boil 'em)

Stussi613

I don't want this to come across the wrong way so take it with a grain of salt...

When you boil all the flavour out of your ribs you need a strong sauce to make them tasty. When I rub mine and then smoke them then finish with a mild sauce they taste mostly of porky goodness, a little bit like the spice rub and a little bit like sauce.  One has big bold flavour of one variety, the other has complex subtle flavours of varying variety but mostly tastes like what it is.

I'm not saying my way is bettter, just that I don't need a strong sauce that permeates the meat in order to make them taste like anything other than boiled pork.

Like I've said, you love the way you cook them so I'm not going to knock them...although I may have come across like I was knocking them.
I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Stussi613 on August 03, 2012, 11:54:18 AM
When you boil all the flavour out of your ribs you need a strong sauce to make them tasty.

Yup, I agree.  Not sure I'd call my sauce "strong" once it's done.  Really, I just put stuff in it until it tastes good. :)  Last time I made them, the hickory smoke came through along with the brown sugar and red pepper...  I suspect the rest of the spices I put in were virtually useless, in the end. :)  (aside from the Mtl Steak spice, cuz that stuff goes on EVERYTHING)  :)

I didn't think you were knocking them at all... To each his own, they say.  If I had a smoker, I certainly wouldn't be boiling them either.  I've also heard of people using a slow cooker... I don't know if they add any liquid or not, though... I'd imagine NOT...

Hookup

Quote from: Stussi613 on August 02, 2012, 11:50:18 PM
Here's my go to for pork:

1/4 cup turbanado sugar 
1/4 cup garlic powder 
1/4 cup black pepper 
2 tbsp cumin 
2 tbsp cayenne pepper 
2 tbsp sea salt 

As you can see, I don't like allot of sugar in my rub, nor do I like a ton of heat.  If you like more of either feel free to adjust. I also don't use much salt in my rubs as i prefer to salt the meat before applying the rub.  Obviously there is a high yield on this recipe. I store in clean dry large mason jars and transfer to a shaker when I'm getting set to rub.

For brisket it's even more simple.

Coarse Ground Salt
Coarse Ground Pepper

That's it. Simple is best with brisket.

And finally, a BBQ sauce that will knock your sockes off, not my recipe...was started by a guy named Steve Petrone and last year this sauce, or a modified version of it won a great many competitions in the US.

No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)

Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

Good luck this weekend!

You sir are a gentile man!   Thank you.

Stussi613

Quote from: Stussi613 on August 02, 2012, 11:50:18 PM

1/4 cup turbanado sugar 
1/4 cup garlic onion powder (granulated if you can get it)
1/4 cup black pepper 
2 tbsp cumin 
2 tbsp cayenne pepper 
2 tbsp sea salt 

Just noticed and fixed a typo...
I haz reef tanks.

RedFish

I'll just throw my two cents in.    We have a big green egg and usually go that routine.    One winter when ribs were on sale but the snow was high and hubby didn't want to go outside at all, I looked up an oven recipe, mis-read it and produced really fabulous ribs.

So when I make ribs (I don't use the egg) I put a rub on the ribs, or a sauce (usually home made) and leave them to marinate for a day.   Then I wrap them in double thickness of aluminum foil (make a long envelope) and seal them in with NO holes or gaps in the seal, and bake them in the oven for 2-3 hours at 300 degrees F.

When they come out so incredibly tender and moist and full of flavour I very carefully transfer them to under the broiler or to a regular bbq and coat with sauce and glaze them in the heat for just a few minutes.

They would not have the same texture that Stussi describes, but they sure are tender and full of flavour and we like 'em!

Hookup

Stussi613 - Thank you.  Ribs are awesome...  IMO a bit over done, but that's cause it was a small thin rack and cooked as if it was a big meaty rack.  Learning as I go on slow cooking ribs.   Again, thank you so much.  Rub and sauce are excellent.

T