Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

what should I clean my olive barrel with

Started by matycake, September 23, 2012, 10:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matycake

I just picked up 2 olive barrels for my ro water and I was wondering what would be the best product to use to clean it out

JetJumper

I used bleach to clean mine.  I washed them first with some Eco friendly cleaner just to get the surface crap off.. and then I filled them to the top with water.. and poured in a bunch of bleach.. let it sit for 24 hours, emptied it.. rinsed it a couple of times.. and put in use.

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

bitterman

-I like to use Bleach as well but ensure it is 100% pure.. not additives or scents... (When I clean rocks I let them sit over night in bleach)

-Then I rinse well till I don't smell bleach

- Follow by a good wash with vinegar... It will neutralize the bleach. As an alternative you can use a commercial deliminator only at a much higher level... Vinegar is what I use.. not much cost for a gallon.

-After that then rinse with clean water.

Bruce

Greatwhite

Wine making stores sell this purple, food-grade cleaner/sanitizer called Chloriclean.  It's meant for COMPLETELY sanitizing wine making equipment, which needs to be completely sterile or the wine you make is going to be horrible.  I used to work in the fast food industry (DQ, yeah!) and that's what we used to clean out the ice cream machines too.

I've bought it from the local Wine Kitz stores in a 500g tub...  I'm sure you can get it in smaller packets too, but I don't know how much would be needed to clean out a big olive barrel.

http://www.winemakeri.com/Chlori_Clean_p/14022.htm

They also sell a product that removes the plastic smell, but I think that's just baking soda.