Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Real or fake?

Started by RickGervs, September 18, 2012, 08:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickGervs

http://glassbox-design.com/2009/the-remarkable-pico-reef-of-marcello/

I think it might be real, a lot of work, but possible... what do you think?

bitterman

Looks real.. Notice the plant on the side is actually the sump etc...

Bruce

sylros

I agree there, this would be alot of work but then these acroporas don't grow too fast, not like frog spawns or hammer heads. He's got a xenia there that I am surprised hasn't taken over the tank...begs to know how old is this tank...can't be years...he's got lots including fish.

Hard to believe the colours he is getting with those spotlights so far away...hmmm

tophoo

Fake!!  Looks like a huge aquarium shrunk down

Hookup

:-\

why is this being questioned?  What makes anyone question its not real? 

I just looked at the photos and the proportions of corals to each other, and to fish-sizes, and to the plumbing, and to the tank itself all look realistic...

Sure the blue hippo in there does make it seem like there is something off.... but we've all seen baby hippo tangs at the LFS... i'm sure that's all it is.

i vote real...

redbelly

Acropora grow WAY fater that euphyllia in my tank....

And in an sps system xenia often does not grow at all. I have a pieces of xenia that went into my system as 4 stalks and well after 6 months later its still 4 stalks...

I have the trimma and eviota gobies in my system and thats about the right size.

Interesting tank to say the least!

Stussi613

I'm not a salty, but I saw a Fluval Edge nano reef picture on a forum where the dude basically packed it full of stuff, snapped some pics and then took everything out and went back to a nano FOWLR. The thing looked so cool packed with corals.

What I'm trying to say is it's the Internet and anyone with a well established big tank could make a nano tank look like the one in the link for a brief period of time and then post the pics and say "look what I made".  Only a journal with pics would prove it was sustained like that.
I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Stussi613 on September 18, 2012, 09:34:20 PM
I'm not a salty, but I saw a Fluval Edge nano reef picture on a forum where the dude basically packed it full of stuff, snapped some pics and then took everything out and went back to a nano FOWLR. The thing looked so cool packed with corals.

What I'm trying to say is it's the Internet and anyone with a well established big tank could make a nano tank look like the one in the link for a brief period of time and then post the pics and say "look what I made".  Only a journal with pics would prove it was sustained like that.

^^ that was exactly my first thought, too.

Hookup

Quote from: Stussi613 on September 18, 2012, 09:34:20 PM

Good point,  never assumed someone would go thru effort really...