Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Endangered fish

Started by mseguin, October 21, 2005, 12:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mseguin

That's pretty much the notice we got, same species, maybe it wasn;t approved at the time?

Nerine

so what happens if you own these fish? do they still let you keep them?
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

mseguin

Not sure, but I got the impression they intend for you to destroy them. But that mgiht just be if they're intercepted ath border.

Nerine

it's crazy, first dogs, now fish, what's next?
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Shouganai

Its not crazy.. its to try and safeguard native wildlife. Snakeheads are a species that can easily live in the wild in some parts of Canada if released. IIRC, there is already a population of them invading the Potomac river in the USA. They have the potential to decimate native fish. You just know there are idiots that would buy a fish like this, and if it got too big for them or they got bored of it, they let it go. Its bad news.

People get irresponsible and let all kinds of pets go, that end up establishing themselves in the wild and harming native wildlife. Just consider us lucky we don't have a climate like Florida, where people let their burmese pythons go.. its a snake that will reach up to 15-20 feet, and has actually been seen eating alligators in the Everglades.

mseguin

Agreed Shouganai.
True, snakeheads probably wouldn't survive our winters (maybe in BC or southwestern Ontario), but let's remember, our waterways are not completely isolated. If snakeheads are released into teh Great Lakes or teh Richelieu, or other waterways, they would have the potential to make it to American waterways. Considering the potential harm to local fish poulations they could do, in this case it makes sense to legislate for the US.

zapisto

Quote from: "Shouganai"Its not crazy.. its to try and safeguard native wildlife. Snakeheads are a species that can easily live in the wild in some parts of Canada if released. IIRC, there is already a population of them invading the Potomac river in the USA. They have the potential to decimate native fish. You just know there are idiots that would buy a fish like this, and if it got too big for them or they got bored of it, they let it go. Its bad news.

People get irresponsible and let all kinds of pets go, that end up establishing themselves in the wild and harming native wildlife. Just consider us lucky we don't have a climate like Florida, where people let their burmese pythons go.. its a snake that will reach up to 15-20 feet, and has actually been seen eating alligators in the Everglades.

So Agree
damn like for everything else, "Good keeper pay for the bad one", but at least let admit the way some people act put all our environnement in Danger.

Mettle

It is too bad that many have to pay for the mistakes of some - but pulling a total utilitarian perspective on you all - I think the greater good has to be thought of here.

On another forum I was reading a post by someone who lives near the Pontomac and how he and a friend had gone and caught/killed a dozen or so snakeheads just in his area. That to me is a real danger. Especially since these fish are so tough and can even come up and out of the water. They don't just have the potential to threaten and decimative native fish species (which they are currently doing) but also the potential to harm other forms of wildlife as well.

People releasing fish into the wild is such a huge problem. Florida was already mentioned... I was reading a post on yet another forum about someone having access to 'large, approximately 12", red devils and/or midas' not too far from their home... And they don't live in Central America. Then a debate ensued about how much a Central American versus an American was worth in the shops and what not.

But that raises a bigger question... And bigger issues...

Irresponsible pet keepers will be the end of a lot of hobbies. This is happening to a lot of reptile/amphibian (herp) keepers in the USA. Some moron lets his snake go, or it gets out, and then the state makes a sweep ban. It's rediculous... And the worst part is when it goes from zero guidelines to full out bans. Like in some states you don't even need a permit to keep hots (venomous snakes/reptiles) and so morons go out and get themselves something that can kill them. And it either does them or someone else in and then all of a sudden they're banning everything...

Wow. This rant got WAY off top. I'm just very opinionated on all this I guess... But don't even get me started on the restricted animals listed on the City of Ottawa by-laws. (Morons have no idea what they're doing.)