Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Keeping Mollies in all salt water tanks?

Started by werehatwere, August 06, 2012, 10:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

werehatwere

I was visiting my cousin the other day who has a 256gallon full salt set up.
Apparently she keeps mollies in there. Never heard of that! I asked her she acclimatizes them to the tank (as she buys them while there in fresh) and she said the whole process takes over 10 hours! That's just her personal way of doing it and it seems to be working for her! Her fry fine and there is lots of breeding activity. She says that from past experience's of keeping these fish in fresh water, that there seems to be more spawning and courtship displays in salt, larger fry numbers, and quicker fry growth! About 5 weeks to and inch. I had heard of keeping mollies in fresh and even brackish tanks, but ive never heard of full salt.

I did some research online and I guess its quite common. Has anyone here had any experience of mollies in full salt?
I think that it would be a very interesting experiment to see. Have an ALL Molly fresh, brackish, and salt aquariums.

NjOyRiD

Yup, did it in the past
they are good taking out hair algea

my issue was my mp60 was way way too strong for them
i was impossible to keep them in my tank.
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

redbelly

I have mollies in SW.
The zebra Mantis and purple rhinopia love them :P

tim_s

Yep you can drip acclimatize them - A lot of brackish tank owners love them (Well all two of them in the entire world anyways LOL)

robt18

How to acclimatize to salt water.

1. Take out of fresh water.
2. Put into salt water.

Some do it better than others.... the sailfins I believe acclimate the most easily, and also probably look the best. I've never really done an acclimation process and never had a problem.