Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Overflow sounds like a toilet flusing

Started by kevin, September 15, 2012, 09:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Hi everyone,

Finally filled up my tank and anxious to start the cycle but the noise is outrageous! Overflow sounds like a toilet just flushed (drilled at the bottom) slurping sounds are constant. Into the sump it sounds like a bath tub running, same volume! I tried to submerge the tubes in the sump water then it's loud burping! Ideally I would like to keep the return lines submerged (could potentially be dead quiet) would drilling a hole above the water line and shoving a small tube in it help? running it up out of the water? Can this be done at the sump level? Why are my overflows so loud? That with the skimmer water flow it is wayyyyy too loud! I have been at this for two months, dying to get the tank cycled!

Any advice is greatly appreciated as always  ;D

Kevin

bitterman

What kind of overflow did you use? 

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

The toilel bowl flushing sound if it is a durso is due to the hold in the end cap being the wrong size. It can be tricky to get the hole the right size. gradually make it larger in very small steps.

Also keep your inputs into the submerged to decrease noise

Pictures will help troubleshoot the problem.

BRuce

kevin

Thanks for the reply, not Durso. Here is a picture.

kevin

It's almost like there is way too much flow, there is a whirlpool effect as water falls down the overflow.

bitterman

I had something similar and it was always noisy

I went to a durso and it is so much quieter!

You might want to look at hookups tank build thread he did some overflows that actually worded out pretty well.

Also how much flow. Remember you don't want a huge amount of turnover from the tank to the sump and back. It needs to be steady... to get you turnover you want pumps in the tank like korillia's

Bruce

kevin

Thanks Bruce, I think I have way too much flow. My swimming pool does that gurgling noise when my pump kicks in full power also. How would Durso work with a bottom drilled tank? I need to make a few modifications to my plumbing to gain 100% control of flow and return. I'm running a Mag 18, T'd off returning to the sump. The line for this is submerged, when I open the valve it cuts all flow to the DT?? Could this be because it is submerged? Backpressure? I have to shut it to get water to the DT but I am convinced my flow is way to high, water is rushing down the overflow way too fast and it's whirlpooling and gurgling like crazy. Tricky to find the right balance, then again, everything is tricky in this hobby.

kevin

Nervermind, I googled it.  8) Thanks again. I will post updated results.

Kevin

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

kevin

Mufflers? lol funny. This set up deffinately needs mufflers. Thanks, on the overflow intake?

kevin

NjOyRiD

Quote from: kevin on September 16, 2012, 06:50:06 AM
I like this, thanks. Nice and easy!

Ive seen them last friday
Was not hearing anything
Only 25$ each too
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Hookup

That design is noisy..

It's pretty easy to silence it with some additional parts.

I have some photos in my build thread you can dig out for reference

kevin

I will have a look, thanks. I got it to quiet down quite a bit by lowering the flow. But still not quiet enough, every now and then it's like someone is filling up a glass real fast. lol