Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rocks

Started by Elfin, September 18, 2012, 08:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elfin

Not sure iif this is where to ask this but im going to be starting 75: gallon african tank and just qondering if theres a place in ottawa to get rocks? I remember years back groups use to get together and go to out hunting them and if someone might no where i could find some good nice lookin ones a decent place to hunt some :-)

dpatte

I like the red granite from Kingston, Ontario. You can pick it up off the side of the road on the 401.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

Elfin

Oh that would be great stuff..is there anywhere closer, any slate or other cool rocks in the area, if i do go tgat way def gonna grab some!

FishBuddy

Quote from: Elfin on September 18, 2012, 10:36:14 PM
Oh that would be great stuff..is there anywhere closer, any slate or other cool rocks in the area, if i do go tgat way def gonna grab some!

Haven't found any place around for picking up slates around Ottawa...  However, if you don't mind paying, go to Cohens & Cohens and pick the slate(s) you liked :)  They are $0.25/lbs and there's some really nice ones too.  With gas prices these days, probably it's best just to buy it :)

Also, there are other rocks that you could get as well; including those red granite that dpatte have talked about.  I think they are also $0.25/lbs.

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

Elfin

Great ill def take a look..thanxs!!

Fishnut

FYI...if you want to get rocks from the side of the road, apparently it's not allowed.  People do it all the time but I was told not to get caught.

Stussi613

Merkley supply has loads of different rocks and the prices aren't bad.

One thing I remember from my cichlid days was starting with flat(ish) rocks like slate, then going to random sized rocks like granite, then finally buying a box of lace rock from Fish Tails in Orleans and finally loving the look of my tank.  I wish, in hindsight, that I hadn't wasted my time with the first two.

Just my opinion.
I haz reef tanks.

Nerine

or take a trip up north and go to the amethyst mine :D  I need one more trip up there and I should have enough to cover the base of a 20 gallon, right now I have enough for the 10 hehe
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

exv152

A while back I bought some moss rock from cohen & cohen, it's really neat looking with tons of texture and crevices. Merkley supplies, as mentioned, is really good too.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Elfin

Thanks everyone! Someone told me near mudlake some spots n found some nice ones even slate like..so i will be scrubbin n boilin rocks lol..daughter is gonna help lol