Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Any aptasia critter advise?

Started by Hookup, October 02, 2012, 08:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

Ive maybe let my aptasia problem fester too long. I need to add some critters to the system this week before i leave friday morning.  I've sent PMs out asking for stock on CBB and Caribbean peppermints to various LFS.  (Support your sponsors and all that)

However, I am wondering what other critters work?  I've used kalk paste before but it's tedious and I might have let things get further out of control than I should. Aptasia-X an other products are on my list also but I believe that natural critters can solv the problem.  Well I hope anyhow 

So what other critters work?

Critters cannot eat SPS or other corals :)

az

peppermint would be the first one to try, copperband butterfly may work but can eat stuff, aiptasia eating filefish may work and can also eat corals, berghia nudibranch will work but in your system it might be not the best thing, chemicals may or may not work.

those are the solutions but you just never know as results vary.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Hookup

Thanks Az.  Got your PM too btw.  Going to look for some peppermints this week, but my wife can come get them from you next week while i'm out if needed...

Jkelley

Please allow me to excuse myself for my earlier comments...

Is is the corrected version:

You need Me as I'm aremed to the 'chest' with App X  ;)

Booyah

Hookup

Thanks Jkelley.   Didn't want to blow the whistle on ya. But it did confirm my suspicions about something else.  Hope you don't mind me pointing it out as I can assure you it didn't offend me in the slightest.

I was able to pickup both peppermints and a copperband today.  Starting acclimatization now.

T

Darth

I personally found aptasia x doenst work, it does kill the ones you get, but if you miss and they release spores you have tons more, peps have not worked for me cbb did not work filefish was the only thing that worked, but then it killed my frogspawn
but I am aptasia free

dakrazyone

i had 1 or 2 pop up, been using joe's juice for a while but it seemed to dry up or expire because i haven't used it in a while.  So, i opted to use vinegar and so far so good.  It's only been a few days but you can immediately see them melting, looks like they work on majano's too.  If i have a better fine tip syringe success rate would be much better.  I will keep you posted.

Coral beauty

I got lucky with my filefish. Was kind of
Worry for the couple of weeks where it
Didn't touch anything. Four and fifth weeks
It wipe out all my aptasia and majano.
When I said wipe I meant lots of it, 15% of all my
Rock surface in my 90 gallon tank was cover in it.
I can say I'm aptasia and majano free. He will looking
For new home soon. Pm me if anyone
Wants to try it out.

kole18

I used kalwasser mix with vinegar in just a sec melt as well majano.

Hookup

Xenon

Thank you thank you thank you thank you

I forgot about this.

If the CBB and peppermints don't work, a frikk'n lazer beam is into future

xenon

Quote from: Hookup on October 02, 2012, 11:03:22 PM
Xenon

Thank you thank you thank you thank you

I forgot about this.

If the CBB and peppermints don't work, a frikk'n lazer beam is into future

No problem!

It's not cheap but you could rent it out to local reefers and it may end up paying for itself. :)

kevin

My tank is still cycling but I am prepared for the worst :) I have a ton of lasers (high intensity). As soon as I have some time I am going to build a laser using a bunch of them concentrating the beam. When its done I would be more than happy to come by and test it out on aptasia any of you may have. I really wonder if it would work. I have seen you tube vids shot in a lab with the zapping aptasia and watching it melt and disolve to nothing. These laswrs, however are not readily available as they are really powerfull and expensive. So I will try combine a bunch to come close to this intensity. Would be a fun way to murder aptasia I'm sure  8)

jon1985

I used peppermint shrimp in my reef and a file fish in my fish only because shrimp get eaten.

Papou

I use a Filefish,ill put him in when there are plenty aptasia or manjano to eat when he's eaten them all i ill catch him and put him back in quarantine tank until next time.