Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

HOB protein skimmer

Started by Roxanne, September 30, 2012, 11:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxanne

Hey everyone!  Currently looking into adding a protein in skimmer to my tank and wondered what would be a good hang on back one to purchase.

My system is a 25g cube with 32 pounds of Lr, 2 clown, watchman goby, shrimp and cuc.  Current
Y have 2 coralia nano (240 gph) and have mix of t5 and led lighting.  I recently battle a cyano outbreak which killed the little corals I had in there (zoas) has been resolved for over a month now, but now have a red hair algae which i cannot shake :-(

My parameters all seem good but will be purchasing new ones in case....  I have been using city water or bottle water for my weekly water changes (i know, not the best, but don't want to invest in a ro/di system for the small amount of water needed)

In reading some post and researching, a protein in skimmer may help keep up the water quality and keep the water surface clean?

Any advise would be great.

Greatwhite

Before buying one, or taking advice on which to buy - a very important question to ask yourself is whether you plan on upgrading in the future to a bigger tank.  It's better to buy a skimmer that is geared toward a bigger tank now if you are, otherwise you can buy one that fits the 25 now, and then you have to replace it later.

Vincenzo.

Do 20g WC every 3-4days.

Side note..if u having trouble keepin zoa alive..something param wise is deff no good.

Roxanne

Thanks!  Zoa's were fine until cyano got them....

Wooki

Quote from: Roxanne on September 30, 2012, 12:44:43 PM
Thanks!  Zoa's were fine until cyano got them....

Since your system is relatively small, my call would be to do more water changes, and instead of investing in a HOB skimmer, I would invest in an RO DI unit.  If you upgrade your tank to a larger one, you will still be able to use your RO unit, whereas the skimmer might not be good enough.  One can often get an RODI unit used for cheap (got my 5 stage with an extra membrane and other goodies for $75), but I haven't seen many of them lately on the classifieds.  When I started in salt water, I used tap water, and had a serious green hair algae problem even though I had a good skimmer.  When I got RODI unit, it all died off.  Just my thoughts
180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

az

i dont think you have enough flow, add another koralia 425, 240s dont push enough.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca