Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Length or width?

Started by Jimbo, October 06, 2012, 08:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

I'm currently in the process of buying a new marine tank (approx 120 to 180 gallons).

I was thinking of buying a 60 inches long, by 18 inches wide, by 24 inches deep. My wife recommends we buy a tank that is 48 inches long, by 24 inches wide, by 24 inches deep.

As it always seems to come down to in life, we have a disagreement over whether length is more important than width.

Does anyone have any recommendations over which is better?

xenon

Depth is more important than length IMO.

More options for aquascaping.

jon1985

It depends what you want to keep.  I had a 4' 120 and LOVED it.  The 4'x2'x2' shape is awesome to scape.  If you want some of the fish that want more room to swim the 6' might be a better option. 

Just my opinion.

lucius

Quote from: Jimbo on October 06, 2012, 08:08:39 PM
I was thinking of buying a 60 inches long, by 18 inches wide, by 24 inches deep. My wife recommends we buy a tank that is 48 inches long, by 24 inches wide, by 24 inches deep.

fyi, 60 x 18 x24 is only a 110 gallon tank.  If you want a 120 gallon tank, then listen to your wife.

Greatwhite

Quote from: lucius on October 07, 2012, 12:30:04 AM
fyi, 60 x 18 x24 is only a 110 gallon tank.  If you want a 120 gallon tank, then listen to your wife.

worst advice everrrrrrr.  Get the 110, and insist that there was no such thing as a 120 in the first place.

Dakotamay

Jimbo,

I was just discussing this with my husband last night. We currently have a 180g mixed reef. The tank is 72*24*24. I thought I really liked those dimensions. However, about a month and a half 2 months ago. We set up another FOWLR tank with the dimensions 60*30*20 tall.  Because our moorish idol was eating corals in the reef. Having now had those dimensions. I'd never buy another tank that was 24 deep by 24 wide. I had said to my husband last night if and when anything happens to that 180g that we have to replace it. I'll get one 72*30*20 tall.
IMO length and width are equally important. Though most of your larger fish  (tangs) will be happy with a 24 inch wide tank. Having now had a 30 inch. I'd never go with anything else again. I'd post pics to show you. But right now our algae outbreak in that tank is horrible lol.
If you want to ever keep a tang or two or a large angel. You want at least 6ft or 72 inches long. But should really consider going 30 inches wide. Just because it really allows for some nice aquascaping while still giving your fish room to turn around.
If you think of it. You take a tank 24 deep and you put in rock work that comes out about 12 or so inches from the back wall. What does your larger fish really have left to turn around in space wise? Not much. 12 inches. If you put a vlamingi tang in there that gets 24 inches. How does he turn around against the rock work? Not very comfortably. Just some food for thought. Again, I have no idea what you plan to stock in this tank.
I hope this helps you sort out where you should go from here in choosing a new tank.

Jimbo

Thanks for your help guys.

I guess the feedback I'm getting is that it's not a case of length verses width, but how you decide to use it!

I'll keep you posted on any future updates.

lucius

Jimbo,

I'm not sure if you priced out the tanks yet but having recently gone through this, I wrote down some prices and the 110 was $140 more than the 120 gallon at Big Al's east.  They have both on display right now but the 110 is new in a box.

Possibly something else to consider.

Dakotamay

Quote from: Jimbo on October 07, 2012, 10:19:39 AM

I guess the feedback I'm getting is that it's not a case of length verses width, but how you decide to use it!

It really depends on what you plan to stock the tank with. If you want all smaller fish. Then go with a 24 wide by 24 tall. Whatever length you want.
On the other hand if you want larger fish. Even just one of them. Go with a min of 6ft tank and if you can go 30 wide. If not then go the 6ft 24x24.

1macuser

Hey Jimbo,

Lucius is right there is a huge difference in price between the 2 tanks, not sure if the 140 is worth the extra 5" in height...an option you can consider is adding circulation pump(s) in the tank which acts as though it increase the water surface area and as a bonus will keep your tank cleaner longer as the sludge will circulate more and get picked up by your filter.

robt18

A little standard size info....

60x18x26 is your standard 120XH
48x18x30 is a 110XH
a 48x24x24 is a 120 standard.

From my experience, having worked with all 3....

The 110XH is too tall to work with - you can't reach the bottom and lighting becomes an issue. It's also difficult to aquascape because it is so much taller than it is wide.

The 120XH (5 foot tank) is really nice to look at, works reasonably well of aquascaping, but it can be difficult to find 5ft accessories (lights, stands, etc.) so make sure you've got what you want in the right size before you go for that one.

The 120 standard (4x2x2) is great, easy to aquascape, and the fish don't swim 'back and forth' as much, since they have a bit more width to work with and they have more area to explore I guess. Also, everything comes in 4' models and its not overly deep.

I would go with the 4x2x2 120 gal.

exv152

Quote from: robt18 on October 09, 2012, 12:49:24 PM
I would go with the 4x2x2 120 gal.
Hi Rob, Do you know what that tank typically retails for, the 120?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Jimbo

I'm leaning towards the 5' tank with Aqua Illumination Sol LED lights.

I prefer the look of the longer tanks over the square ones (no offence to any square tank owners).

Does anyone have any opinions on placing live rock against the back wall of the tank? I've done this with my current tank, due to space limitations, but as I intend to have a full length overflow on the new tank, the space below the overflow will be wasted otherwise.

robt18

Quote from: exv152 on October 09, 2012, 01:36:08 PM
Hi Rob, Do you know what that tank typically retails for, the 120?

Don't quote me, but I believe they're $489.99 at BA.

I've done rocks against the back glass and never had an issue with cracking or anything like that. Obviously you can't clean around the points of contact when they're right against the glass, but that's not usually a problem on the back. Make sure you have water flow through the back of the tank if you do this, as with more stuff slowing the water flow, the more likely you are to have dead zones.

xenon

I would have a look at deep blue professional tanks.

http://www.deepblueprofessional.com

They use odd sizes that you may like better and are usually cheaper than Perfecto tanks at big als.

Marinescape can bring them in pretty quickly.