Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

stringy clear stuff coming out of fish

Started by ottawa_fry22, November 01, 2012, 07:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawa_fry22

Hey just wanted come help on if Melafix will treat internal problems? Stringy white stuff coming out of fish.  Fish wont eat and hides in the plants.  Still swims around every once in a while like normal. 

I dont hve access to Pimafix in my town.  Im hoping Mela will treat it.  There was some nitrite present..very little.  The fish who is sick is a large redhump geophagus cichlid.  I'm upset.  I need to clean the dead leaves up off bottle more often.  I do regular water changed but I suppose I should be doing some smaller ones every 2nd day to help?

PLEASE help.  If I need different medicine and you have spare meds..and might be in the area or pass through Eganville..please come..I can make a trade. PM me for details.

Thanks.

Stephanie  :(
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

exv152

Nitrites are toxic so you want to dilute the tank by doing 30-50% water changes per day until you see the nitrites go down. The stringy white poop is sometimes a sign of internal parasites.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

ottawa_fry22

ok I will do good water changes more this week..I just netted up more dead leaves on the bottom and hooked up an air stone..its about 5 inch long stone.  I dont have co2 going so no point in worrying about any being dissolved by the bubbles I suppose.

I always have a UV sterilizer going ..so I dont know how there can be parasite in the fish.  But yes I have read it is a possibility from the clear stuff coming out.

As far as Melafix goes..anyone suggest something different than that for this problem?? I really dont want to lose him.  I raised him since he was a fry.

Thanks

Steph
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Laura

If he won't eat and hides, couldn't this be part of the reason his feces aren't normal? If there's no food going in, it's likey why none is coming out.

I would eliminate water conditions as a problem and make sure that he's not being picked on before throwing meds at him.

Since you've raised him from a fry, and no other fish are showing signs of parasites, I would look elsewhere to start for a cause. How big a tank is it in and what are his tankmates? I don't know much about cichlids, but someone else may notice an issue.

This page mentions health problems with poorly managed cycling http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/geo_steindachneri.php due to them rooting around in the gravel. I would suggest a good gravel vac and large water changes every couple of days to see if that helps to get things sorted.

Good luck
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

exv152

If the fish was just hiding out and not eating I would definitely recommend checking all other possibilities, but I've never heard of water conditions creating white stringy poop. At least you have a good indicator and if you treat it early enough you may nip it in the bud.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

ottawa_fry22

Thanks for all the replies. My tank has been established for over 1 year since I moved.  I have not gotten any new fish or plants. So I went in my local Ricks hobbies and aqua to get a range of tests done the other day.  Again all normal except for a tiny bit of nitrite. I think it happened due to not cleaning up the dead leaves good enough on bottom.  Its soft sand bottom.
I had forgot to mention while I was at the store that there is the stringy white/clear stuff coming out of the fish.  So what I ended up getting was the Melafix. Which wont help the problem. Im only hoping it will sooth any external discomforts until I can get a ride out to Pembroke for the sufficient medicine. They had said I will need GENERAL CURE by API.  I only have one person to ask if I can get a ride to get it. Im 30mins away.  :( I have to treat 75gal.  Maybe my 20gal too since I oly been using one net on both tanks.

Does anyone know if these parasites sit around on plants? I want to sell some lotus. I have a UV sterilizer always running but I guess not all the parasites got passed through it. I dont understand how there is any.  I havnt added new stuff to that tank years.

Im trying not to think too much about the fish right now. And I am waiting tonight to see if I will have a ride to the store early tomorrow to get the meds. Im in little old Eganville. -_-

I will do a water change tonight.  Not sure if I should add Melafix after just in case I get the med tomorrow it might not mix well...

Thanks again  :(

Stephanie