Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Reptile Ornament in Fish Tank

Started by Quatro, November 05, 2005, 09:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quatro

I was in PetSmart tonight and saw a ornament I would like to put in an aquarium but it was in the reptile section and was marked "not recommended for aquariums".  Its probably from the antimicrobial agent.  Is there a way to make it fish safe???  Thanks.

http://shop.petsmart.com/product/2534374302023694/2534374302030049/845524441780319.htm

Mike S

Shouganai

I can imagine that the antimicrobial agent would be sketchy in the tank (heck, it'd be sketchy for the reptile too!), but aside from that, I have had bad experiences with reptile ornaments in aquariums. The paint isn't sealed in as well as it would be for an aquarium ornament, and it will actually come off. I have a couple of clown plecos, and I am pretty sure they ate all the paint off a little cave and fake piece of cholla wood I had put in my tank for my fish.

PaleoFishGirl

There are some similar ornaments in PetSmart that are made for aquariums.  I have this in my tank:

http://shop.petsmart.com/product/2534374302023693/2534374302030108/845524441777847.htm

(the tree stump one).  My mom thought it was real; I know that's not saying much, but it's something ;)

Quatro

Thanks ladies.

The girl at the pet store said I might be able to soak it.  I think you've convinced me not to try.  I will look for the products that PaleoFishGirl recommended.

Mike S

NjOyRiD

i have two similar in my Chinese muntain river, never had any probs!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Mettle

I know that ornament! I absolutely love it and I've wanted to get it for myself, to be honest. I think it's fantastic. But the fact that it's not aquarium safe has always deterred me as well. It's a very nice ornament.

Nerine

what girl did you talk to!? and at which petsmart....(I work at merivale) soaking it won't do much...it still will not be safe for your tank! go with something that looks like it...but not something that is made for reptiles!! you don't want any mishaps. good luck in finding an ornament!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

UCGrafix

Quote from: "Quatro"Is there a way to make it fish safe???  Thanks.
Mike S
Yes there is, but it's costly.
You can dip it into exoxy sealer, that is made specially to coat such objects.
The type of epoxy I am reffering to, is not the common type, to obtain the product, you might want to contact a store that sell crafts, or Lee Valley Tools, they might have it.
It is sometimes used to cover large wooden surfaces, such as table tops, counter tops and so on.

Quatro

Quote from: "Nerine"what girl did you talk to!? and at which petsmart....(I work at merivale) soaking it won't do much...it still will not be safe for your tank! go with something that looks like it...but not something that is made for reptiles!! you don't want any mishaps. good luck in finding an ornament!

It was the merivale petsmart and I talked to one of the cashiers.  She admitted to not being sure and I respect that.  I told her I would look into it, therefore I posted here.  :)

Mike S

Quatro

Quote from: "UCGrafix"
Quote from: "Quatro"Is there a way to make it fish safe???  Thanks.
Mike S
Yes there is, but it's costly.
You can dip it into exoxy sealer, that is made specially to coat such objects.
The type of epoxy I am reffering to, is not the common type, to obtain the product, you might want to contact a store that sell crafts, or Lee Valley Tools, they might have it.
It is sometimes used to cover large wooden surfaces, such as table tops, counter tops and so on.

Thanks UC

I had heard about using some sort of clear coating.  I also have some rock that I want to do this to.  Do you know the brand name or any other info?  

Mike S

UCGrafix

Quote from: "Quatro"Thanks UC

I had heard about using some sort of clear coating.  I also have some rock that I want to do this to.  Do you know the brand name or any other info?  

Mike S
You can coat just about anything with the product I am reffering to, rocks, wood, ceramic and so on....

It's ben many years since I have used it, and I don't remember the name, but I will do some research with the old project I used it on ( if I still have my files on it ), and will get back to you.
Regards,
Denis

dpatte

are 'reptile thermometers' different from aquarium thermometers , if they are the ones that stick to the glass?

Mettle

Quote from: "dpatte"are 'reptile thermometers' different from aquarium thermometers , if they are the ones that stick to the glass?

They're both garbage as far as quality goes and one shouldn't bother using them at all. That's just my opinion. But a half decent thermometer costs roughly the same price and will do a much better job in accuracy.

Nerine

I agree with mettle on the thermometers! I've had bad experiances with "reptile" ones
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts