Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish sitter? Mid-December to mid-January

Started by Salt Disney, October 31, 2012, 01:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salt Disney

I searched the forum but didn't see any discussion of fish-sitting services.  Any pointers?

I have minimalist set up right now.  One clown, one damsel and one branch hammer in a 65 gal with sump.  I need to be out of town for a month.

I'm thinking of transferring some of my live rock and the two fish to a 15gal tank and giving that tank to a friend for a month.  I'll leave my 65 gal system running, but not worry about water changes or any feeding.  Then, I can just have a neighbour pop in and do fresh water top-ups.  I had this neighbour run the whole set-up in the past, with water changes and feeding but I just feel that it's too much to ask someone.

Thoughts?  Cycling time for the 15 gal, if I use my own live rock, use some 'used' water from my 65 tank and use no sand/gravel.

Alternatively, what about 'lending' out my two fish to one of you?  Does this work?

Last resort, I'll just sell them and buy new ones in January, but I hate doing this as I'm really proud that I've kept them alive for so long.

Severum

Auto feeder and auto top-off and you're good to go for a month... provided your tank doesn't evaporate more than your top-off reservoir...
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Salt Disney

I looked at auto-feeders last time.  I decided that spending ~$100 to get a dependable one wasn't worth it to feed $50 of fish.  So, I'd rather just give the fish away.

I tried to reduce water changes last time, to make it easier on my neighbour and the tank 'crashed' after I got back.  A clown jumped out because the water quality was so poor.

I'd rather set up a friend with a 15 gal and all the water ready to do changes and top ups so that it's really easy.

jon1985

where are you located?

With only a few fish and a sinlge LPS you should be able to get away without any water changes for a month without to much issue.  As long as you arent WAY over feeding the fish.  Then your tank sitter would only have to feed and top off water.

Salt Disney

Thanks again.

I guess I just don't want have to ask my neighbour to have to swing by 4-5 times a week for feeding.  4-5 times a month to do top up seems more reasonable (my top up system can last about a week).

I'm in Mooney's Bay area.

robt18

Once to twice a week would be enough for feeding for a month. Especially since there won't be any water changes being done. Fish don't need a whole lot to eat!

Wooki

Quote from: Salt Disney on October 31, 2012, 02:42:37 PM
I looked at auto-feeders last time.  I decided that spending ~$100 to get a dependable one wasn't worth it to feed $50 of fish.  So, I'd rather just give the fish away.

I've had a few auto fish feeders, and I agree the very cheap ones are crap.  I now use this Eheim one:  http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/em-zfeed/Eheim+Automatic+Feeder.html

It is relatively cheap, and very reliable.  I use it daily to do micro feeds while I'm at work.
180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

Stussi613

Quote from: Wooki on October 31, 2012, 11:25:53 PM
I've had a few auto fish feeders, and I agree the very cheap ones are crap.  I now use this Eheim one:  http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/em-zfeed/Eheim+Automatic+Feeder.html

It is relatively cheap, and very reliable.  I use it daily to do micro feeds while I'm at work.

I've had the same one for morning feedings on my discus tank for over two years. Reliable and easy to use. Haven't even had to change the batteries and the cats knock it off the tank ALL the time (4 feet off the floor on my 125g).
I haz reef tanks.

exv152

+2 for the Eheim feeders, I have have two of them, and they are the best imo, never clog, never breakdown, batteries last forever and you can have up to eight feedings per day, four double doses if need be, which is more than adequate.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Greatwhite

Yup - those Eheims are nice.  I had the twin chamber one, but there was no way to secure it to the tank - and it fell in...  It didn't work after that.  The single feeder is programmable and you can adjust how much to feed each time.  AND - it secures on the tank very well.