Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ceramic Diffuser clogging up

Started by Aquafreak2, October 23, 2012, 10:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquafreak2

So I bought one of those Ceramic Diffusers from fluval and it seems to clog up over night when my system turns off.  The next day I have to use a high pressure air system to unclog it before the co2 starts coming out again.  Are these diffusers useless or what?

I can take the diffuser off and just run the bubbles through my power head in the tank or is this not suitable enough.

Thanks 

fischkopp

What pressure are you running at? Are you using a check valve? IME it take a much higher pressure to push water through ceramic discs compared to CO2. I keep the pressure around 30-35, which seems to be just enough to push out the water in case some got back-flushed.

The power head idea works well too, but won't produce bubbles as fine as ceramic diffuser. I usually keep one above the diffuser to shoot the bubbles back into the tank before they reach the surface.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

That is really odd
Quoteand it seems to clog up over night when my system turns off.  The next day I have to use a high pressure air system to unclog it before the co2 starts coming out again
I have one in a 10 gallon for quite sometime now no issues, also ran one ffor a bit in my 25 & no issues.I like them they are cost effective & works.
Regards

charlie

are you using DIY CO2( Sugar & Yeast)?

daworldisblack

Quote from: Aquafreak2 on October 23, 2012, 10:27:08 AM
So I bought one of those Ceramic Diffusers from fluval and it seems to clog up over night when my system turns off.  The next day I have to use a high pressure air system to unclog it before the co2 starts coming out again.  Are these diffusers useless or what?

I can take the diffuser off and just run the bubbles through my power head in the tank or is this not suitable enough.

Thanks 

It does take a while for pressure to build up and get to a point where the bubbles are seen coming out of the diffuser - is that what you are referring to as clog? Depending on what your bps is set to, it may take longer or shorter for the pressure to get to where it needs to be for pushing the gas bubbles through the ceramic disc.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Rah has a good point. If the co2 doesn't come out within 15 minutes after the solenoid turns on, then maybe you have a clog. It takes time for the CO2 to build up and push out the water that siphoned up the hose overnight. Depending on where your check vavle is (ie closer to the diffuser or closer to the regulator), it can take longer to push out.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Aquafreak2

Running a canister CO2 system,  1 bubble per second.  Check valve is just outside the water at the top of aquarium, I would say half way between diffuser and CO2 canister.  It truly gets clogged, but I see what you mean by water blocking the line to the check valve,  I will try lowering the check valve closer to the Diffuser in the water.  I do have the power head just above the diffuser to send the bubbles even more into the water column.

Thanks for the advice.

charlie

Personally i don`t think your check valve position is playing a mayor role with your issue, i run mine some 18 inches away from the top of the tank ( just never got around to moving it) with no similar issues.
My solenoid kicks in & within 1 second co2 is diffusing into the water column.
What is the working pressure of the Regulator set at? what is your KH of the water?, have you done a real good leak test on the tube & connections?
Regards

wolfiewill

Quote from: fischkopp on October 23, 2012, 11:23:25 AM
What pressure are you running at? Are you using a check valve? IME it take a much higher pressure to push water through ceramic discs compared to CO2. I keep the pressure around 30-35, which seems to be just enough to push out the water in case some got back-flushed.

The power head idea works well too, but won't produce bubbles as fine as ceramic diffuser. I usually keep one above the diffuser to shoot the bubbles back into the tank before they reach the surface.

Odd. I, too, have just had the same trouble with my first attempt at a Fluval CO2 atomizer, and had the same problem. After reading that it might be low pressure (I use a canister and regulator), I checked mine and realize that the pressure gauge only goes up to 16 PSI. I'll never get the 30 to 35 suggested above. I have an Aquarium Plants electronic pulse style CO2 kit. Presently I tried a Red Sea atomizer, just a block of wood. I liked it so much I bought four more for some of my other tanks. They work great but are not expected to last (apparently). I'm going to an ADA outlet this Sat and am going to try another variety of theirs. I'll just keep on experimenting 'till I get what I need.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain