New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Extravaganza 2012 Ohio convention

Started by limed, September 15, 2012, 06:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limed

http://www.ohiocichlid.com/

Coming soon, November 16-18th 2012

An event you want to go if you want to experience fish stuff.
Get to hear and meet great speakers and people from all over US/Canada and even share beers
with them. The equipment is a lot cheaper and you can bring back $800.00 of stuff each. Buy fish from hotel
rooms, swap meet and auction that has more fish that you see anywhere else. 

This would be my 4th year and looking forward to this, even the wives are looking for this too. Lots
of shopping places for them. The only time we see them is in the morning and late night when they
get back from shopping.

ajm1961

Important note: the CFIA will be enforcing new regulations on the importation of ornamental fish starting on December 10, 2012.

So... this will be the LAST TIME you will be able to fully take advantage of this convention and bring back some incredible fishes over the border without the need for an importer's permit.

Something to consider everyone!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Fishnut

Al

For anyone that has not attended a "fish convention" and is a fish geek, the Ohio show is unquestionably THE EVENT to attend. Great presentations, lots of people to meet, lots of aquarium related product available at great prices and a terrific Sunday auction to cap off the event. And just to make sure you don't get bored, Friday night, Saturday and Sunday fish vendors have their hotel rooms open for direct sales - you can walk around the hotel where certain floors are allocated to fish sellers and have a lot of fun chatting and discussing.
QUESTION - re CFIA's changing regs, I read some CAOAC minutes where they were questioning if in fact the new regs were going to go into effect in December due to the Bill and regulations still  a little unclear and needing some rework?? Anyone know more? I am going to call CFIA and see what I can find out. I tried reading info from their site but in true government fashion the info is exhausting and leaves clear interpretation "not so clear". Hopefully, for us occasional importers of fish (buying in the US) for our own aquarium use, there will be a simple method to bring in our fish 1 or 2x/year by filling out a simple permit - but as An... alluded to, if the regulations do change for the worse with no exemptions for us little guys buying from our favourite US importers, it will make the search for unique fish and wild caughts a lot more difficultin Canada - and costly. I downloaded the application for permit to import form off the CFIA site and it seems pretty straightforward but again, it's how it gets applied and the actual implementation. 

Al

I spoke with CFIA today - Dr Magda Guirguis - in Guelph after being referred there by the Ottawa CFIA office. Bottom line is, for us pet fish people and our occassional buying sprees, unless the fish we wish to bring in to Canada from the US are on a specific "Susceptible Species" list (which she sent me, no african cichlids for example are on this list) we do not need to worry about bringing them back - there is no new regulation for pet fish going into a personal aquarium and WE DO NOT REQUIRE PERMITS. And even if some fish that someone may want to bring back ARE on the list, they may be exempted, for example, if someone is going to keep them in an aquarium and a few other subtleties. She did suggest that the most prudent method would be that when one comes back with fish, if possible have the exporters (dealer) name and address, your name and address, the taxonomic name of the fish/lifestage/number i.e cyprichromis nigripinnis, fry, 24 pieces and finally, where the fish was born. She stated that even wild caught, and I asked specifically about African cichlids, would be no more problematic bringing in to Canada than F1 bred in the US from wild caughts. If anyone at the club would like a cc on the correspondence from Dr Guirguis, please send me a pm.
We can all put the valium away, for now.
Al

Fishnut

Are you able to post the list she sent you?  Put it in the freshwater discussions forum.  It would be a great reference for people who want to buy fish in the US outside of convention time.

ajm1961

SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

fischkopp

Thanks Al for clarifying this. Hope to see you at the Extra!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

zenins

I will be at the OCA in November for the third year in a row.
It is a great opportunity to be with fish geeks for a few days, get some interesting fish from sellers in their rooms,
also at the large auction, and you can visit local retailers as well.
There will be several vendors on site, like Ken's Fish and others, selling lots of equipment, food, books, and so on.
Several guest speakers talk on cichlids or catfish.
There is a fairly large show with many classes.
Here is a post on the KWAS forum from last year, there are several links to photos through out the thread:
http://www.kwas.ca/forum/showthread.php?21214-Ohio-Cichlid-Extravaganza-2011

If you see me there in November, introduce yourself, I will be wearing one of my many KWAS club shirts,
and if it is not me, then they can redirect you to me ... heh
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

fischkopp

A pic from your photo album: Looks like you found us last time ... :)

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

limed

My eye's where closed, maybe too much beer. So who going up this year? Did anyone get a hold of Mark
in Calgary if he's flying in?  Looks like about 10 of us so far. Book your rooms early.  $67.00/day

Ed

zenins

Ha !

... with Ad Konings and Larry Johnson

Larry is in Malawi right now and will be presenting his new photos to KWAS, my home club, in November ...  :)

Larry will probably be at OCA again this year, and Ad will be giving presentations, sometimes featuring some of Larry's photos  ;)
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

limed

You better book your room if you haven't, not much left, maybe King size bed room only left.
You might have to call the hotel now or book at another hotel close by. This feels like it's going to be big this year.

Ed

Lisachromis

Quote from: Al on September 18, 2012, 12:03:24 PM
I spoke with CFIA today - Dr Magda Guirguis - in Guelph after being referred there by the Ottawa CFIA office. Bottom line is, for us pet fish people and our occassional buying sprees, unless the fish we wish to bring in to Canada from the US are on a specific "Susceptible Species" list (which she sent me, no african cichlids for example are on this list) we do not need to worry about bringing them back - there is no new regulation for pet fish going into a personal aquarium and WE DO NOT REQUIRE PERMITS. And even if some fish that someone may want to bring back ARE on the list, they may be exempted, for example, if someone is going to keep them in an aquarium and a few other subtleties. She did suggest that the most prudent method would be that when one comes back with fish, if possible have the exporters (dealer) name and address, your name and address, the taxonomic name of the fish/lifestage/number i.e cyprichromis nigripinnis, fry, 24 pieces and finally, where the fish was born. She stated that even wild caught, and I asked specifically about African cichlids, would be no more problematic bringing in to Canada than F1 bred in the US from wild caughts. If anyone at the club would like a cc on the correspondence from Dr Guirguis, please send me a pm.
We can all put the valium away, for now.
Al

Al,

Would it be possible to get a list sent to me?  We're attending the Extravaganza and would like a list.
Lisachromis

Al

I emailed you her correspondence.
Let me know if you don't get it.
Al