Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help me find this gravel ...

Started by fischkopp, November 10, 2012, 11:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

... it's quite large 1-2cm, mainly greyish in colour, and would easily qualify as pebbles as well.

I got this stuff at an auction once and would like some more of it, or anything similar in colour, size and shape. Just don't know where too find it. Maybe you have seen it somewhere?

Here is a picture:

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

daworldisblack

Quote from: fischkopp on November 10, 2012, 11:52:30 PM
... it's quite large 1-2cm, mainly greyish in colour, and would easily qualify as pebbles as well.

I got this stuff at an auction once and would like some more of it, or anything similar in colour, size and shape. Just don't know where too find it. Maybe you have seen it somewhere?

Here is a picture:

Maybe a landscaping store? Ritchie's feed and seed or Artistic Landscape Designs ? Been to those places before for pond projects and they always have river stones of various sizes.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Depends on how much you need. For smaller quantities, like accent pieces, you can probably find some really nice decorative stones from arts stores like Michael's, or some dollar stores. There you can get smaller bags by size and colour. For larger quanties, in addition to the above, try Merkley's too.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sas

I could be wrong but didn't Hagen sell this type of gravel when they were pushing their Geosystems?
Might be more black than greyish though.
Granted that's been a few years now but might be worthwhile looking into it.

fischkopp

Thanks guys! I need a lot, not just a few pieces. I haven't seen anything like it at Merkley or Artistic Landscape, at least not when I visited a while back. Need to check out Ritchie's one day.

Quote from: sas on November 11, 2012, 08:05:35 AM
I could be wrong but didn't Hagen sell this type of gravel when they were pushing their Geosystems?

I believe you are right. They had something like it in their line-up. It just hard to find the whole variety of their gravels in the stores these days.
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

jetstream

Quote from: sas on November 11, 2012, 08:05:35 AM
Might be more black than greyish though.
Granted that's been a few years now but might be worthwhile looking into it.

Yes, SAS almost got it! Check out Hagen PT3833 EXO Terra Turtle Lg Pebble. The only sites that have it listed in Canada is Sears and Amazon.ca @ close to $4 a lb!

sas

Quote from: jetstream on November 11, 2012, 11:20:43 AM
Yes, SAS almost got it! Check out Hagen PT3833 EXO Terra Turtle Lg Pebble. The only sites that have it listed in Canada is Sears and Amazon.ca @ close to $4 a lb!

It certainly does look similar,

http://www.amazon.ca/RC-Hagen-PT3833-Turtle-Gravel-2c/dp/B0035HD408

good call Jetstream

wolfiewill

Sure. Prince Edward County on Lake Ontario. They come in all sizes from the size of a basketball to black sand. Very nice in an aquarium. I used to have a tank with only black Lake Ontario sand.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

Critter jungle carries a good variety of hagen geosystem substrates and ornamental stones.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Habsfan

I bought a huge bag for $8.50 here:

http://www.cohenandcohen.com/reuse/landscaping/details.php?id=13

I couldn't tell you if it is aquarium safe.

fischkopp

The turtle pebbles look almost exactly like the one I have. So it might be just it. It's a bit on the pricey side though.

I like Prince Edward County, but I doubt I will make it there in the near future. But I will keep my eyes open next summer. :)

Looks like Cohen & Cohen has some interesting material. Didn't know about this place before, will certainly check it out. Thanks for the tip!
my fish suck

lucius

I have similar turtle pebbles for one of my plants and got them from Michael's.  But I don't remember the price and they were a handful contained in a mesh bag.