New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Madagascar lace plant

Started by wolfiewill, February 27, 2013, 11:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

Has anyone grown Madagascar lace plant successfully in the Ottawa-Gatineau area? I am thinking of purchasing some and I would like some local input. My research into it's needs have unearthed conflicting information.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 27, 2013, 11:24:37 AM
Has anyone grown Madagascar lace plant successfully in the Ottawa-Gatineau area? I am thinking of purchasing some and I would like some local input. My research into it's needs have unearthed conflicting information.
Seek out via PM a member named jetstream.
Errol

FishBuddy

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 27, 2013, 11:24:37 AM

I've grown 2 madagascar lace plants from bulbs for the past 3 years.  They are currently the largest plant in my planted tank with leaves that's over a foot long.  According to many of the literature out there, it was recommended that we take the bulb out on a yearly basis to give them a 'dormant' period.  However, for the past 3 years, I've never taken the bulbs out and my plants are still growing and very healthy.  One thing I do regularly is prune out the dead/dying leaves to promote other young leaves to grow.  As for fertilizer, I put in a fertilizer capsule at the root of the plant twice a year.

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

wolfiewill

Quote from: FishBuddy on February 27, 2013, 09:47:09 PM
I've grown 2 madagascar lace plants from bulbs for the past 3 years.  They are currently the largest plant in my planted tank with leaves that's over a foot long.  According to many of the literature out there, it was recommended that we take the bulb out on a yearly basis to give them a 'dormant' period.  However, for the past 3 years, I've never taken the bulbs out and my plants are still growing and very healthy.  One thing I do regularly is prune out the dead/dying leaves to promote other young leaves to grow.  As for fertilizer, I put in a fertilizer capsule at the root of the plant twice a year.

Wow, that's really encouraging. Can you give me some more details: how much lighting, what kind of lighting, what substrate and what water column ferts are you applying, what size of tank, and what are the nearest tank mates.

There are expensive at Big Al's and I don't want to screw it up.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

wolfiewill

Quote from: charlie on February 27, 2013, 12:10:20 PM
Seek out via PM a member named jetstream.
Errol
Thanks. Will do. G

FishBuddy

Quote from: wolfiewill on March 02, 2013, 09:34:24 AM
Wow, that's really encouraging. Can you give me some more details: how much lighting, what kind of lighting, what substrate and what water column ferts are you applying, what size of tank, and what are the nearest tank mates.

There are expensive at Big Al's and I don't want to screw it up.

Here's my setup for the Madagascar Lace Plant:

-  40G breeders tank
-  Caribean Sea Eco-Complete black substrate.
-  livestock: endlers, SAEs, albino BN plecos.
-  plants; african fern, twisted vals, anubias, hornwort.
-  no CO2 injection
-  Hagen Glo T5 HO dual ( 2 x 39w) lighting; lights on for 6 hrs/day
-  Plantex CSM + Boron fertilizer 3 times/wk.

That's about it...

[/li]

wolfiewill

Quote from: FishBuddy on March 02, 2013, 10:51:12 AM
Here's my setup for the Madagascar Lace Plant:

-  40G breeders tank
-  Caribean Sea Eco-Complete black substrate.
-  livestock: endlers, SAEs, albino BN plecos.
-  plants; african fern, twisted vals, anubias, hornwort.
-  no CO2 injection
-  Hagen Glo T5 HO dual ( 2 x 39w) lighting; lights on for 6 hrs/day
-  Plantex CSM + Boron fertilizer 3 times/wk.

That's about it...

And what temperature is that tank running at. And just to confirm: You are using a high nutrient substrate and no water ferts except micros? I'm impressed, and with no CO2. Any liquid carbon? I'm really encouraged now. Cheers.

FishBuddy

Quote from: wolfiewill on March 04, 2013, 08:52:33 PM
And what temperature is that tank running at. And just to confirm: You are using a high nutrient substrate and no water ferts except micros? I'm impressed, and with no CO2. Any liquid carbon? I'm really encouraged now. Cheers.

Yes, I am using Eco-Complete.  No liquid carbon either...  As for temperature, I never turn on my heater so the water temperature at the moment is sitting at 68F.  The livestock seems to like the the cooler temperature so I leave it at that.   I just did more trimming last night and took out a couple of leaves that are 13 inches long.

[/li]

wolfiewill

Quote from: FishBuddy on March 04, 2013, 10:21:40 PM
Yes, I am using Eco-Complete.  No liquid carbon either...  As for temperature, I never turn on my heater so the water temperature at the moment is sitting at 68F.  The livestock seems to like the the cooler temperature so I leave it at that.   I just did more trimming last night and took out a couple of leaves that are 13 inches long.

Wow. That's impressive. Thanks for that.