Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

breeding bushynose plecos

Started by soleil1980, November 15, 2012, 02:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soleil1980

Hi

I will try a hand at breeding bushynose plecos.  I know they need a cave.  I was thinking of getting a clay pot turned upside down and just sawing an opening. (the clay pot is already in the tank but on its side)  Would that work?  Also, there are livebearers (guppies) with them.  will that be a problem? 
Anything else I should know to have baby plecos?  I feed everyone flake food (regular and high in algea) and algea pellets.
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)

robt18

They need a "cave" to spawn in. I've always just used a piece of drift wood and they've been perfectly happy. I've heard of the clay pot method but never used it myself. They tend to like somewhere darker and with little room so the male can guard and fan the eggs.

The livebearers shouldn't be an issue. If you notice they're really going after the eggs then separate them, but I can't imagine them doing that, or being close to successful given the plecos' choice of breeding spot.

As far as food goes, I've always raised mine on Hikari algae wafers without problem. Lots of good stuff and I believe they have more calcium than most other brands. Also not crazy expensive.

fishmonger

I had a 90 gallon tank with Cichlids, BN Plecos and crayfish.. it was planted, with lots of logs and small pots with the bottoms busted out, when the tank was torn down, there were a dozen young plecos found.  We'd had no idea they were there, nor could I guess how mature they were, but they seemed quite happy to take care of themselves.

wandmangels

bushynose prefer a dark Cave type dwelling with a small opening and closed end as Rob has said for breeding a clay pot would most likely be too open for them

placing ornaments/rocks closely around the cave will help a lot for when the fry are ready to leave the cave for safety from other fish i have Guppies and Discus in the same tank with mine and the fry (both guppies and b/n) are doing great with lots of places to hide from the predators

Melody

Mine have always loved breeding in large barnacles.  They're pretty too, but they do break down eventually.  I've seen fake barnacle ornaments but I've never tried them.