Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Some concerns about tap water

Started by dnas17, December 26, 2012, 06:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnas17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sCVQTHHw5M

After watching this video I was very confused/concerned, I know that this guy isnt located in Ottawa so his water systems may have different things in them than ours however I have been using Prime to cure tap water for my reef tank for about 3 months since ive started it and I haven't had any major issues but this video seems to say otherwise. Is there any explanation for this?? I also didn't really recognized whatever kind of conditioner he was using so maybe its just a brand specific issue.

veron

Yes some people use ''conditioned tap water'' for reef tanks and get away with it short term.
IMO any reef tank setup should be using a quality RO/DI unit. Prime or other conditioners
do not remove anything except break down Chloramines. Google RO/DI units.
SPECTRAPURE
BFS
BULK REEF SUPPLY'S   have great units.

Greatwhite

Some STORES in the area use tap water and swear by it...  If I had to fill as many tanks as they do, I think I'd be considering a conditioned tap water solution too...  Of course, the places that I know who use tap water also have some nasty cyano issues most times I go in too...

Darth

I use straight tap water and have not had any issues at all, I have one cyano outbreak in 2 years, but was quickly under control, my corals all grow great fish are all healthy so maybe I am just lucky  ;D

Hookup

Tap water is hit and miss.   Some people report no issue, some report issue.  Some report good water at different times of the year and worse at others. 

No one ever had an issue with RO/DI water.

Darth

Quote from: Hookup on December 27, 2012, 11:03:46 AM
Tap water is hit and miss.   Some people report no issue, some report issue.  Some report good water at different times of the year and worse at others. 

No one ever had an issue with RO/DI water.
this is true (although I know lots of people who use ro/di and have cyano outbreaks) but for other stuff like hair algea, and what not I have been lucky and I am a heavy feeder

Hookup

Sorry should be more specific, however we are saying the same thing.

RO/DI by itself never causes issues.

Tap Water by itself sometimes does.

RO/DI is not a "make it all better" solution for anything.... its a balance of many factors.

My point is RO/DI is simple.  Just add salt.  Works every time, in every case.

dnas17

Well after all this discussion, I am probably looking into investing in a RO/DI unit however my main question still hasnt really been answered, why is it that the TDS jumped like by 50 after adding that decholrinator?!?! I always add Prime, salt then mix it up for a bit and dump it right in my tank when I do a water change and I would hate to know im throwing 200 TDS water into my tank.

veron

well, if your not using an RO/DI, then you will have TDS readings. Declorinating your water  has
very little to do with TDS. Theres alot of other stuff in your water. Phosphate,silicates,metals and so on. 8)
Also, water quality flucuates thru out the year. If someone uses tapwater for awhile with no ''bad'' resultes
doesn't mean its not coming. Rock can absorb phosphate from the tap water and release  down the road.
You could have a perfect tank for along time and then BAMM

rgauvin

Quote from: dnas17 on December 28, 2012, 12:36:16 AM
Well after all this discussion, I am probably looking into investing in a RO/DI unit however my main question still hasnt really been answered, why is it that the TDS jumped like by 50 after adding that decholrinator?!?! I always add Prime, salt then mix it up for a bit and dump it right in my tank when I do a water change and I would hate to know im throwing 200 TDS water into my tank.

TDS = total dissolved solids, AKA Crap in the water.

Prime doesn't remove anything (it simply neutralizes things). So If you start with a glass of water and crap dissolved in the water, and you pour more things INTO the cup, the TDS (or total dissolved solids, AKA Crap in the water) goes up.

TDS readings do not tell you what is in the water, just that there is something in the water.