New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

pH powder buffer/first time user

Started by ottawa_fry22, January 23, 2013, 07:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawa_fry22

Hey all,

I just recently have been advised to use proper ph powder by API for my 75gal planted tank.  This tank has been through alot this past year and has yet to recover from my UV sterilizer dying and a parasitic problem. I had a nitrate problem and so I had moved a fish to my other tank that is safe temporarily.  I had gotten my water tested at Rick's Hobbies and Aquaria and mentioned that I am on well water and we soften the water. Not by my choice..I am living at my parent's house. So anyways, they explained to me that my water has nothing good in it for the fish. No calcium, other beneficial minerals..and so it leads to nutrient deficiency in the fish. This must have been why one of the fish I had, it developed hole in the head..not just from the parasitic problem but the water of which in it lacking the goodness. I do feed frozen..not just keep them on flakes..they also like sinking wafers.

So what I would like to know is your tips for beginners on pH powder. How much powder do I start with and should I dissolve it in something and then pour it in tank?

Thank you.

Stephanie
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

exv152

Quote from: ottawa_fry22 on January 23, 2013, 07:57:14 AMSo what I would like to know is your tips for beginners on pH powder. How much powder do I start with and should I dissolve it in something and then pour it in tank?

Hi Stephanie, If you need to mineralize your water I would recommend seachem equilibrium. It's intended to revitalize RO water, so it would work well in your case. Or do a google search for "GH booster", there's a number of them out there. I'd also recommend something to boost your KH, like crushed coral in your filter media, or a product. I've used seachem alkaline buffer (I swear I don't work for seachem though) and it's worked well for me. Some use small amounts of baking soda.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

ottawa_fry22

Well I asked Rick what the solution would be when I was at the store and he said to use the pH buffer which he stated will add minerals OR use a by-pass.  I had asked him if I needed anything else and he didnt mention any Seachem products and yes he does carry plenty of them.  He had asked me what fish I'd be keeping again (alot of my fish died from Nitrate spike)..I said south american cichlids like Earth Eaters Geophagus species. I would like to get a co2 pressurized systemmmmm up and running too as my plants are terrible now..what is left of them.

So these Seachem products you mention..make me wonder now in confusion why he didnt advise me to use those with the API ph 7.0 powder buffer.  Now I may have to call him and ask him.  >:(
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

Darth

I find it hard that you are on a well, and there are no minerals in the water, normally well water has tons!
What is you ph now? what type of fish are you keeping
depending on the fish, the best way would be crushed coral substrate, or dead coral rocks such as tonga to help the ph raise for you
I would suggest a good water conditioner that will help resolve any heavy metal issues that come with well water

sas

It's too bad you don't have one tap that isn't involved with the water softener?
Our house has a softener as well but the outside taps are straight well water,
since our horses and goats don't need special water, just clean, and this is the
water I use for fish tanks as well.

From personal experience, trying to alter water chemistry gets very tiring
in the long run, so much simpler if you can work with your existing water.
I realize though that it's sometimes just not possible.

ottawa_fry22

Yes like I said my parents soften the well water. I just did a pH test.  Its the liquid test which is accurate. It looks to be around 7 somewhere.  Its a greenish blueish color. If the pH had been really bad it would be a warm tone color. So it looks to me like I picked up the buffer out of Rick assuming my pH was very low instead of them testing my water for it.

I am waiting for the store to open right now and going to call.  I might be able to get the products I need today as my mom is going out to Pembroke soon. Frustrated though right now. Dont want anything to happen to my Jurupari now that I know more about my water here.

blueknight0303

Quote from: Darth on January 23, 2013, 08:25:53 AM
I find it hard that you are on a well, and there are no minerals in the water, normally well water has tons!
What is you ph now? what type of fish are you keeping
depending on the fish, the best way would be crushed coral substrate, or dead coral rocks such as tonga to help the ph raise for you
I would suggest a good water conditioner that will help resolve any heavy metal issues that come with well water

hes right. try using pond water conditioners or prime.

i personally don't like mineral enhancers... putting the right amount of crushed coral, coral rocks and sea shells is the best way to go if you want minerals and to raise ph. adding driftwood to balance and lower ph is good too! i only suggest this if you want to run your tank on the long run because it will cost you alot but it is well worth it. also using a freshwater sump would be good to but its all up to you.

if your untreated water has a ph of 6.2-7.6 then you should be fine, my other alternative is use GH booster for shrimps or african cichlids and freshwater salts.

exv152

Satanoperca Jurupari naturally live in soft water conditions, so I'm not sure I would look to change that. Just doing a quick search online says they naturally live in 6 - 7.8 ph. And the plants do much better in softer water too, the nutrient uptake will be higher. Maybe your fish can get its minerals from its diet instead.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

ottawa_fry22

Thank you again all you kind folks for the replies. Yes this also explains why I couldnt keep ghost shrimps alive. D: Never payed much attention to GH/KH before. Living here at my parents house actually made my plants go downhill too.  I did hear that plants and some fish I have like the softer type water..but cant imagine to this degree. The water test reading for GH is at zero..as soft as it can get.  And the KH is as high as it can go with the dip stick test 240. I had a feeling about it so I mentioned it the last time I went to the store.

I do know the natural way is better than adding product.  But for now it is a good time to get some experience from using what is available. I also would like to have a freshwater sump. But that will have to wait because I really wanted to get pressurized co2 all last year and ending up having to go broke over an emergency instead. I really miss how beautiful my tank once was when it was in Ottawa. I also miss my fish that passed away last month..which was also from when I worked at Big Al's. The Jurupari, Banjo Cat and Raphael Cat, a cory and a couple barbs are all I have left from those good days. So I must learn more of what I can do to be sufficient.  Just got a new UV sterilizer which is internal and 13 watt bulb. So working on killing algae and any parasites.

:D

Stephanie