Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

PPS Dosing

Started by androo303, January 23, 2013, 09:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

androo303

Hi all, looking at switching from EI to PPS. Any thoughts? Have others gotten better results withPPS over EI ? I've been reading that less prater changes can also be done with PPS because you don't need to recalibrate the water column in terms of ferts, which is good for me.  ;)

I know i need to get som MgSO4 and KH2PO4 to round out my fertilizers, but should I be getting anything to help with calcium like GH Booster to dose with water changes?

wolfiewill

I too am trying to move to PPS from a Seachem regime (why do I feel like I'm coming out of the closet). EI seems like 'running with your eyes closed' in a china shop. And I would like to stop doing all the water changes.

The problem is doing all the testing. I am hoping to do less as time goes on and I get a better feel for what each tank demands, but for now I am in the steepest part of the learning curve, and continue to test three times per week.

As I wean my self of the Seachem products, I am replacing them with dry fertilizers, mostly from B&B Hydroponics. In addition, I am going to use Eqiulibrium for potassium, and Seachem Comprehensive for the micros though as there don't appear to be better products available

As for calcium, our tap water in Ottawa has only about 16 ppm and I really think that's in need of boosting in a planted tank at some point of the cycle. I have to purchase my initial source of dry nitrogen soon and will need to consider CaNO3 as some have suggested, but will try adding CaCO3 first to see the need for Ca. I'll let you know how I fare if you want. I forget what B&B have.

I suppose this is really a topic for the next Plantiholics meeting (shameless plug though this is). I would like some commiseration on PPS. You should come. It's scheduled for Feb 9th, and coincidently, I know who's hosting, and perhaps could get you an invite, eh?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

If you want to do PPS over EI, it's totally doable, but I would begin to reduce it gradually until you begin to see signs. Because going right from EI directly to PPS may cause some issues because you're going from a system based on abundance to one based on limiting nutrients. Big time algae invitation. The thing I personally like about EI is it's based on not having to do any water tests, because test kits can be very inaccurate. But you can also reduce your water change regime with EI, just slowly reduce the nutrient levels. You may even be able to get away with doing zero to very little WCs. It's really a personal choice. As far as Ca is concerned, there are a few plant species that respond well to increased Ca, like pogostemon helferi, but most plants don't require elevated levels of Ca. Just my two cents based on personal observations.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fischkopp

Quote from: exv152 on January 26, 2013, 12:49:38 PM
But you can also reduce your water change regime with EI, just slowly reduce the nutrient levels. You may even be able to get away with doing zero to very little WCs. It's really a personal choice.

Mmh, isn't the basis of EI that it's relying on water changes to reset nutrient levels? Just trying to avoid confusion. I agree that everyone should take it from there, but once you do that, you are not dosing EI anymore, but merely develop your own dosing regime. And if you end up at a point were WC changes are not necessary anymore, you actually doing something very close to PPS.

Either way, everyone should use a method that works best for them. And often it involves trying out a few things.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

exv152

Here's a really good thread on TPT about reduced WCs and EI, straight from the horse's mouth plantbrain - tom barr. Really good read. In the end, it all depends on what works for you based trial and error.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108616&page=2
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

This article suggests that starting at the EI concentrations won't cause algae problems. But what if the lighting level and / or the [CO2] are limiting. Won't excessive macros, or iron cause algae. I'm under the impression that algae issues can be caused by a poor balance, and that if any of the inputs are excessive, algae will result.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

wolfiewill

And I just calculated that if I want to have 30 ppm NO3 using Seachem nitrogen, I'd need to add 156 ml!

exv152

Quote from: wolfiewill on January 26, 2013, 04:45:46 PMThis article suggests that starting at the EI concentrations won't cause algae problems. But what if the lighting level and / or the [CO2] are limiting. Won't excessive macros, or iron cause algae. I'm under the impression that algae issues can be caused by a poor balance, and that if any of the inputs are excessive, algae will result.

Limiting the lighting is good, but do not limit any of the other nutrients especially PO4 or CO2, their deficiency will cause algae, and not to mention stunted plant growth. There are other things too that cause algae, but too often people focus on the higher nutrients when hunting for a reason to blame algae on, and overlook the nutrients that are low. You'll get higher nutrients in an enclosed aquarium when the plants are not using up that nutrient due to a deficiency of another, but it's really that deficient nutrient that is causing the problem. Or so that is what I'm lead to believe from Tom Barr's philosophy.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

We should put this topic on the Plantiholics meeting agenda.

charlie