Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

tank status report after 10 weeks away

Started by oenology, November 13, 2005, 08:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oenology

Finally back and infront of my tanks. Hubby did a pretty good job of taking care of all of them even though he isn't interested at all in fish unless it's cooked and on a plate...

65g malawi suffered the most deaths - something must have gotten out of wack because the tank is very, very green now. Anyone know of quick way to get rid of green water?

65g cichlid grow out is doing great. The fish have really grown. Now I'm just concerned that the demisoni, psudotropeous longior and the kenyi are going to interbreed due to all the bleu stripes.... any thoughts?

130g lost one sevrum and one of the fronts has a bad eye. I have to set up a treatment tank today.

23g found one dried up adult sunspot brevis on the floor but I spotted 6 babies so I'm still ahead of the game. Didn't lose any longfins so very happy about that too. However, somehow all the anubias in that tank are now dead...

25g Hubby managed to raise 8 angel babies. they are nice looking angels with very high dorsal fins

30g texas cichlid doesn't look like he has moved since I left...

55g Tang. community can't see very well through the algea on the glass but it looks like the calvis have grown hugely

65g Tang. community growth  has been pretty good, the gold occies seem to be growing and the cryps are finally getting some colour.

55g wierd community is becoming less weird with the loss of my pearlscale goldfish. Very sad. He kicked off just before I got home.

30g extra angels have not paired off... oh well, they look pretty.

Todays project - continue vaccuuming bottoms - hubby says I told him about water changes but not about vaccuuming the gravel.... all the bottoms are disgusting. The filth that comes out of the gravel, yuck!

So once all the maintenance is done then I can think about where to put the empty 65g and 35 hex I have in the garage and what to put in them.... Montreal giant auction is coming up fast 8)

Aiglos

That is alot of losses to suffer in only 10 weeks oenology;  
Did you leave him detailed instructions on feeding/ water changes ?

I go away ALOT and I am always worried about that; so much that I have had to cut my fish down to "easy to care for"  fish;  

The quickest way I found to get rid of green water is to go to an aquarium store and buy the stuff that clumps green algea together and the filter removes it from the aquarium; It works usally within 8-24 hours.  faster then a blackout; unfortanatly does not remove the cause of the problem.

BigDaddy

Flocculants aren't the best against green water.  They rely on your filter being able to catch the small clumps, which some don't.  Plus, unless you kill the green water, it's usually reproducing faster than your filter can actually remove it.  Plus, flocculants are stressful and harmful to fish gills.

Read my article on Blackouts on the front page Jen.  You've been away from the tank for 10 weeks... another 5 days won't kill ya.

artw

well you could probably do a couple of really good waterchanges in the 65 - the wilds won't mind - just make sure the ph and temperature is the same.  I routinely did 75%+ waterchanges and they went nuts for the clean water

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

pegasus

hubby did a good job in keeping your fish alive. The lost of a severum and a goldfish is nothing on a population of over 150 fish. The weird stuff/sickness in the 65 gal wild/F1 Africans even got me baffled , even before you left.  BTW... Did you loose more in that tank after your third week gone?

Your hobby did one water change & chemical mix to every tank once in the first 2 weeks. With the detailed recepies for each one of them.I would'nt blamed him if he would have quit after that, I would.  :)

Oh.. forgot to offer..  Pleco on wheels/ Maid will clean a tank per day , all 5 sides for just it's food content. :)