New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

id on shrimp and plant please =)

Started by blueknight0303, January 20, 2013, 10:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I can't tell.  The shrimp in the photo is too fuzzy.

blueknight0303

fischkopp

Mr shrimpy appears to be an amano shrimp.

The plant is a bit more tricky as there are many lock-alikes, could be a Rotala sp. or Mayaca fluitans.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

daworldisblack

Hmm.. to me the shrimp looks more like a wild-type  colour of the common cherry shrimp: http://www.planetinverts.com/Neocaridina_Heteropoda.html
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Fishnut

I'll have to disagree with fischkopp ::)

The eggs under the tail are too big and not numerous enough to be an amano.  I would also guess as a wild cherry shrimp.

Stussi613

Quote from: Fishnut on January 21, 2013, 12:32:48 PM

The eggs under the tail are too big and not numerous enough to be an amano.  I would also guess as a wild cherry shrimp.

I have to agree with you, unless that's a brackish tank that can't be an amamo...they don't breed in freshwater.
I haz reef tanks.

daworldisblack

They do berry up in freshwater though but Fishnut  is right in speculating that the eggs are too big - i had the same thought as well. Mine looked like they had green pus rather then defined balls (lol i realize this could be more tactfully worded but words fail me right now). I think the eggs even hatch in freshwater but obviously they wont make it since they require salt water to evolve into an shrimp eventually.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

angelcraze

I have these shrimp too, well, they look similar.  The females eventually look reddish brown with a lighter brown stripe (much like a brown female cherry shrimp) and grow larger than the males who are mostly clear with a reddish brown stripe.  Although, some in this tank have more vertical stripes as well.

They are a wild variety of cherry shrimp and breed like crazy.  I was told they are called Minami shrimp, but could not find much info on them.

Here are some pics, if this helps you.  I have more if you want to pm me (email)

Pic 1) a male minami, pic 2) big mama, pic3) a juvie with more vertical stripes

These shrimp go insane for blanched zucchini!!!!

As for the plant, if the tank is lower light, I would guess a finer/greener version of rotala
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

fischkopp

Quote from: Fishnut on January 21, 2013, 12:32:48 PM

That's ok. I stand corrected, it's probably not amano. Though the first pic makes you think it is ... :)

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

blueknight0303

i see... when you are really close the color is actually bluish to grayish.. is it a good thing to have them on red cherries?

angelcraze

Quote from: blueknight0303 on January 22, 2013, 04:23:37 PM
is it a good thing to have them on red cherries?

If you mean in the same aquarium as cherry shrimp.......
Assuming that we both have wild-coloured cherry shrimp, then you would just end up with redder juvies since these shrimp would interbreed.  Also depending on how the light hits them, they can be even more reddish, or blueish.  They are actually pretty cool left as is imo.  (unless mine are already mixed with something)
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!