Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Goldfish behavior.

Started by blueknight0303, February 13, 2013, 01:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueknight0303

i was told that goldfish dont sleep.... i have the koi for almost 9 years and the comets for almost 2 years now.... is this normal? they have been like this for as long as i remember every time its lights out. i literally have to move like a ninja in order to take this pics.. tried several times and for some reason they always see me. these are the only successful pics i got on them.

Nerine

Goldfish do "sleep" but they are hovering - with movements to keep them balanced and are always aware of their surroundings. Turning the lights on really quickly will cause erratic movements from them as they look for a place to hide...it's best to turn room lights on first THEN the tank lights :) causes less stress on them!!

it's been a LONG time since I've had goldfish so maybe someone with more recent goldfish keeping can pipe in :) but from what I remember, they didn't stop moving during the day unless they were sick!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

blueknight0303

my lights dont turn on till 4:00PM. and by that time sunlight is already lighting up the room.