Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Feeder guppies?

Started by Nerine, March 25, 2012, 11:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

Does anyone know where to buy feeder guppies?? Doesn't appear to be any locations in Ottawa? Maybe a trip to Montreal is in order...
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Brine

Did you try Critter Jungle and Pet Circus? They sometimes have them.

Nerine

Haven't tried Pet Circus yet! are they over on Bank street still?
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Brine

Quote from: Nerine on March 25, 2012, 01:39:46 PM
Haven't tried Pet Circus yet! are they over on Bank street still?
yes
274 Bank Street  Ottawa, ON K2P 1X6
(613) 234-8456

Nerine

well nobody seems to have any in the club...I still have yet to get out to Bank street!! Going to town is a big ordeal haha and fish have been on the back burner :)

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo anyone have platties? mollies? anything that is relatively small at birth! I am feeding my Zamoras live fish now....the last time I fed live, they laid eggs within a few months...so hoping for repeat!! but I'm out of fish ;)

I just have danios and they all tiny tiny! and I've only got male convicts left oops

HappyGuppy

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but just wondering if anyone NOW knows who/where sells feeder guppies.  Thanks if anyone can chime in.

FWIW, called BA (kanata) this week and they no longer carry them.

Nerine

I am looking for them again as well!!!!!!

HappyGuppy

Hi Nerine, if you're looking for them for the purpose of feeding I can tell you how to mass breed guppies in a tiny tank (or even a bucket) & be super healthy (unlike those sickly things I saw @ stores - who the heck would feed their fish these diseased feeders???).  I've mastered this one in the past and am happy to share the secrets with you if you're interested (incredibly easy).

However the reason I'm looking for "feeder guppies" is because I like the "revert-to-type" wild look.  I could grab random guppies from petstores and after a couple of years get the "wild-type" happening, or if I score some "feeders" I can save a few years of effort.  I even take those sick & diseased feeders to nurse them back to health.  However if I don't find what I'm looking for over the next couple of months then I'll just do the random guppy mix thing.

Nerine

I have found when I used to buy feeders that they were more healthy than the ones in the show tanks!!!

I got my last round of guppies in Toronto, they were super cheap! I wish we had loads of cheap guppies here too!!

I used to breed tons in a bucket :) I just don't want to fork out the $$$ for a few fancies when I don't really want fancies :) I too like the wild look...but if you find any, and have babies, let me know because I would love some!!

Or even someone who breeds guppies here, then I could start a colony! I used to have tons of guppies in a 55....it was quite the thing to see :D

HappyGuppy

Hey Nerine, let's make a pact.  If either of us find a source for the wild-looking "feeders" then let's promptly tell the other person where they are, or depending upon the circumstances, pick up an extra 20 (cap of say $5 worth) for the other person.

A while ago I saw a petstore (won't name which one) selling the feeder type of guppies for fancy prices LOL  Kinda wish I bought them back then, even at the ridiculous price.

OOOOOOOOOOhhhh.... a hypnotic 55.  I would love to see that.

Oh, nerine, I've got several endlers (my numbers are currently very low - lost a lot), but I could put them into a greenwater bucket and you could remind me about them in a few months.  They have a similar look to the wild guppies (but I still want the wild guppies personally).  I'm thinking about just crossing out some with fancies to get a bunch of spectacular mutts (honestly, after years, my favorites are mutts, not clones).

HappyGuppy

I guess I should also mention why I want them.  They're going to go into my marine tank.  I'm down to two main tanks.  The kid's room has the more vibrant tank with clownfish (nemos).  In my office I setup a deep water & semi-cryptic tank which I transferred my marine endlers & guppy hybrids to.  I plan to not keep other fish with them so as to allow the fry to reproduce more, as every time fry pop out my other fish got fatter.  I want a tank full of guppy mutts swimming around a cool marine environment (for me that's like having my cake and eating it too, best of both worlds).

Nerine

Sounds good! I will keep my eyes open for them :)

You'll have to provide pictures :D

I just want some guppies to fill up a tank and then a few to toss in for my catfish during breeding season hehehe

HappyGuppy

Pictures of...?

I was just thinking... years ago I got some wild-type guppies from a guy named Cal who lived just past Richmond.  He had insane tanks.  He thought his fish were endlers, which is why I went, but in truth they were just reverted-to-wild-type guppies due to random breeding of random guppies in his enormous tanks.  Anyone have his phone number?  I'd bet that if he still has tanks that he must have a zillion of them.  He also had golden females (cool).

Nerine

Nobody replied haha

Don't know a guy named Cal...though would have been nice!!! :)

Pictures of marine tank with guppies! :)

Still haven't found a decent supplier of feeder guppies....still looking if anyone knows.....

Nerine

thanks ceci :) it's not easy to get out that way!! was hoping someone more central would have them hehe

I'll give Pet Circus a call!

ottawa11

Quote from: Nerine on November 15, 2012, 10:55:00 PM
I have found when I used to buy feeders that they were more healthy than the ones in the show tanks!!!

I got my last round of guppies in Toronto, they were super cheap! I wish we had loads of cheap guppies here too!!

I used to breed tons in a bucket :) I just don't want to fork out the $$$ for a few fancies when I don't really want fancies :) I too like the wild look...but if you find any, and have babies, let me know because I would love some!!

Or even someone who breeds guppies here, then I could start a colony! I used to have tons of guppies in a 55....it was quite the thing to see :D

Where in Toronto did you buy them from and how do you transport them to keep them alive all the way to Ottawa?

Nerine

err a post was deleted in here....

and all over toronto...and just in bags :)

ottawa11

A store or just finding it through kijiji. What's the best fish stores in Toronto anyways?

exv152

Big Als in scarborough has a awesome fish and plant selection. It's the flag ship store in the GTA I believe. The menagerie is also reputed as being good.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

ottawa11

Oh okay thanks. How super cheap are the fishes in Toronto?