Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

length of intake tube on filter

Started by George2, February 12, 2013, 11:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George2

I have a freshwater 16 gallon tall aquarium (20x10x18)  with an AquaClear 20 filter and noticed the filter intake tube isn't very long. How far down should the tube go? Is it beneficial to extend it all the way down to the bottom of the tank?

Stussi613

It should probably go about 3/4 of the way down the tank, in an ideal world. Too close to the bottom and allot of stuff gets sucked into it, too close to the top and the water near the bottom doesn't move as much as it should.

If you need more lengths you can pick them up locally at one of our sponsors pretty cheap.
I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

Just for curiosity - do fresh water tanks get the oily sludge build-up on the surface that salt ones do?  And, is it as undesirable in fresh tanks?  :)  If so, before getting a new tube for the filter, you should look into a surface skimmer attachment.  It'll get you the length AND clean off the top.  2 birds, 1 stone.

http://www.bigalspets.ca/fish/filters/surface-skimmer.html

As you can see, our friends at Big Als carry them... And I'm 90% sure I've seen them at Fishtail and other shops are sure to have something like this.

George2

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 12, 2013, 11:38:37 PM
It should probably go about 3/4 of the way down the tank, in an ideal world. Too close to the bottom and allot of stuff gets sucked into it, too close to the top and the water near the bottom doesn't move as much as it should.

If you need more lengths you can pick them up locally at one of our sponsors pretty cheap.

It looks like I'll have to pick up an extension. Thanks!

George2

Quote from: Greatwhite on February 13, 2013, 12:02:38 AM
Just for curiosity - do fresh water tanks get the oily sludge build-up on the surface that salt ones do?  And, is it as undesirable in fresh tanks?  :)  If so, before getting a new tube for the filter, you should look into a surface skimmer attachment.  It'll get you the length AND clean off the top.  2 birds, 1 stone.

http://www.bigalspets.ca/fish/filters/surface-skimmer.html

As you can see, our friends at Big Als carry them... And I'm 90% sure I've seen them at Fishtail and other shops are sure to have something like this.

I've never heard of that before but it sounds like a good idea to clean the surface. I'm a newbie aquarium owner so I have no idea if something like that is needed for fresh water aquariums. Thanks.

sas

Yes we definitely get that oil slick on the surface.
Depending on what you are feeding ie) feeding high protein and
fresh food, will result in lots of greasy film, usually if a canister filter is
being used.
People quite often just add a HOB filter and that breaks the surface and stirs
the slick up.
BUT your using an HOB AquaClear already so I'd wait and see how your tank
evolves before buying a skimmer.
You can also just lay a piece of paper towel on the surface of the water to
pick up the sludge, if it isn't too bad.

exv152

I've experienced the oil/film on the surface and found the best way to get rid of it is just run an air pump during the night for a short while, and just once or twice and it seems to take care of it indefinitely. I've noticed it more with the use of soil based substrates.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

1macuser

I know that the skimmer work as I did a DYI for my canister filter...no more oil slick  :)

lucius

I have the water level touching the lip of my AC filters.  It causes a lot of surface movement when the water is this high so I don't get the film on top anymore.

Greatwhite

Yup - movement on the surface will help for sure.  I guess cannister filters have their intake and output below the surface, so the surface skimmer would definitely be a necessity...   ::)