Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dead Fish...for supper?

Started by darkdep, November 12, 2005, 11:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

I KNOW that everyone is gonna say "OMG! NO!" but I wanted to ask anyway.

I had a juvie Blue Dolphin die in my Juvie tank.  I didn't notice until the half consumed carcass grabbed my attention one evening.  At first I was really wanting to remove the dead fish and do a big waterchange "just in case", but I started to wonder...

If the fish in a tank are carnivores, and they naturally eat other fish, wouldn't it be a good idea to let them have their fill first?  Obviously there is the issue of not knowing why the fish died, and possibly passing something on, but other than that...?

Not considering making this practise or anything, just thought I'd throw the question out there.

PaleoFishGirl

I was waiting for the 'I was considering eating it myself for supper...' and, of course, thinking "OMG! NO!."  

I would probably have let my fish eat it, and then done a water change.

damarech

A dead fish will foul your tank fast Let them eat but remove the leftovers .
Serve with french fries

darkdep

I decided to leave it in there, and will be doing a waterchange tonight.

Didn't take the buggers long...there's nothing left but a little bit of the spine :shocked:

mseguin

Depends how it died. If it's parasites, yuo would want to get it out of there before any more can get released. Peronally I woudl take it out as soon as possible.

darkdep

They didn't give me a chance.  By the time I got all into cleaning mode, it was GONE  :shock:

dannypd

Quote from: "damarech"A dead fish will foul your tank fast Let them eat but remove the leftovers .
Serve with french fries

I've never had a "dead" fish.. all the non-salt tolerant fish that get put into my salt water tank "disapear"... :D

gvv

Quote from: "dannypd"I've never had a "dead" fish.. all the non-salt tolerant fish that get put into my salt water tank "disapear"... :D
In SW as I understand it is "kill or be killed"...

damarech

I put salt on my fries and they disapear too