Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How long can i leave my tank drained and empty?

Started by ceci, February 20, 2013, 01:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceci

Okay maybe this is a dumb question so forgive me. I recently picked up (yet another) used tank and filled it with water just to protect the seals.....now I'll drained it and am in the process of switching the substrate, gravel with horribly sharp shells to pool sand.....and I'm just wondering how long I can leave it empty without needing to worry about the seals.....like is a whole 24 hours ok? My place is really dry.....

It's just proving to be a more challenging task than I thought.....excited though :)

I have kept the filter submersed is tank water, hoping that makes some difference.

Also where can I get more tubing for my gravel vacuum (manual, of various sizes) as that's how I drained the tank and at only 100lbs myself that proved to be an exhausting tank back and forth with a 10G bucket of water from tank to bathtub....Would love to get 30 or so feet of tubing and not have to worry about carrying all that weight!!

Thanks for any feedback, always appreciated.

Ceci

charlie

leaving a tank empty for 24 or for that matter longer should not have any impact on the seal if they are in good condition.
You might want to check with one of the hardware chain stores or even Princess Auto.
Regards

Stussi613

They sell a 50 foot roll of 5/8" clear tubing for potable water (i.e. fish safe) pretty cheap at Home Depot, Rona and Lowe's in Ottawa.  That's what I used to make mine.
I haz reef tanks.

ceci

Yes I need to get some tubing for sure for the future....I ended up just doing it manually.....it's full now :) I'm so happy with it! Hate the silly hood and in hood filtration that came with it, so I'll be replacing that (hopefuly cheaply) and am considering my first attempt at suspending lights above the tank (wall or ceiling mount). I might hold off till the auction in march to see if there's a decent filter....never been to an action, so no clue what to expect to find :)

Loving this online community, and really appreciate the support!

Ceci