Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Australian Rainbows

Started by torin32, March 21, 2013, 11:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

torin32

Good day I wanted to know if there are any people here who keep rainbows .  I would like to know what kind you have, were you get them.  Thanks for reading.

iatetheweatherman

I have wondered about rainbows as well, but never talked to anyone who kept them. They are really cool fish.

I decided to go the angel route instead since I heard they like heavy flow (which isn't great for a planted tank), and they need a cover since they jump (which I don't have)....

Shawn84

You can keep them in planted tank with heavy flow. Theres a few member here keep them in there planted tank.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

exv152

Heavy flow in a planted tank is very desirable. It helps distribute the nutrients and keep algae away.
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

iatetheweatherman

I meant to say flow that most plants wouldn't be able to handle? Like fast moving stream speed, I dunno.... It was mostly the jumper thing that turned me away though.

torin32

Ohh they keep nicely with the above stated and make great tank mates for angels actually i have some larger i have about 6 in a 75g.  I just wanted to see if there are other who breed.

iatetheweatherman

Have you had any jump out of your tank? Or do you have a lid?

torin32

nop no jumpers as of yet but i have herd they can be jumpers i have a galf lid with a light.

exv152

Guys, please do NOT post anything that contravenes the forum rules or it'll be removed. Thanks.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Montrealguy

I keep a number of rainbow species, which I have gotten from private breeders and speakers at our club. I have Melanotaenia sexlineata, boesemani, sp Morehead river, duboulayi  and herbertaxelrodi. I've kept and bred rainbows off and on for a long time - close to 20 years, and never had a jumper.
All the tanks they are in are thoroughly planted.

iatetheweatherman

Quote from: Montrealguy on March 23, 2013, 06:46:53 PM
I keep a number of rainbow species, which I have gotten from private breeders and speakers at our club. I have Melanotaenia sexlineata, boesemani, sp Morehead river, duboulayi  and herbertaxelrodi. I've kept and bred rainbows off and on for a long time - close to 20 years, and never had a jumper.
All the tanks they are in are thoroughly planted.

Interesting... I wish I wasn't told to stay clear of them for that reason.... Maybe in the future I'll make a switch to them. Thanks!