Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Small RO/DI unit?

Started by Stussi613, April 03, 2013, 12:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

I'm starting to collect things for my impending nano reef build with the 8g tank I bought from CAD Lights at AquaMania and I'm contemplating whether I should try to find a small RO/DI unit, or just try to find someone to buy water from.

I've seen some portable units, and some of the other types people use, but I'm not sure I really need a 50-75 GPD unit for an 8g tank.

I've seen this one, which I like because I can just make water in my garage with it...

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Aquarium-Filter-System-Membrane/dp/B004N7QUXW

Any thoughts from nano reef keepers and other super smart salt brained types?
I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

You're probably better off just buying jugs of water from a local shop.

I wouldn't trust a "portable anything" since this is not really a portable hobby.  You can bring a bucket to some shops (like Fishtail) and fill it up cheap.  Once your nano is filled, it's just a matter of topping it off - and that won't take much.

Then, keep your eyes open for something better to pop up in classifieds. 

Any RODI unit can be plugged in and unplugged with a simple faucet adapter, if you don't want to plumb one in permanently.  You just have to have valves to shut off on either side to TRY to keep it pressurized and then flush it before using it.

Jimbo

I've been told that the water you can buy from large supermarkets will be okay - you know the containers you fill yourself  :)

I've also been told that Ottawa's tap water is extremely good, as long as you treat it, and there are no water repairs in your area.

Nienna

Just wanted to throw my 2c in - water conditioner will not remove the copper (from your pipes in your house) and other traces that can kill corals.

The offer still stands to get water from us for free (this assumes you're only doing the 8g though  ;)) - you'll have to bring your own containers.

Personally, I love how our RO drinking water tastes - our setup has the extra large filter for dealing with chloramines (BRS calls it the chloramines monster).

JetJumper

Copper from your pipes in your house is not an issue IMHO
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Jimbo

I second JetJumper. I've never had a problem with my tap water... so far. Fish, corals and inverts are all thriving.

Although with my new tank I probably will invest in an RODI system.

gerryo

Thanx for the link to the portable RO/DI unit, Stussi613.

Already ordered.

Greatwhite

Someone once explained to me what each stage took care of, and stressed the importance of 5 stages over 3... I don't know if you're going to get the purity in your resulting water is "desired" with a 3 stage unit.  I mean - it'll be better than tap water, and tap water is "not too bad" already..

ray

Hi most units are portable provided you have a tap adapter.IMO you should use a TDS meter,how else can you measure and know that your unit is working. Ottawa's water is usually between 80-100 TDS,if using RO only water will come out approx 10 TDS,the final stage is the DI which should bring you to a reading of 0 TDS.Usually 4 stages are sufficient starting w/ a sediment filter,then carbon(catalytic carbon will help w/ chloramines),R/O membrane,and then the DI resin.Most additional stages are used redundantly depending on your own particular water situation.example is high sediment from well would mean running 2 different sediment filters

Hope this helps a bit

Ray

Greatwhite

Thanks Ray... I lost interest in searching the old forum I was on for this info.

So a 3 stage will be... Carbon + RO Membrane + DI.  Without a prefilter, the carbon will probably need changing more often and/or the membrane will need replacement sooner, I guess.

But yeah - use a TDS meter for sure.

Stussi613

Quote from: gerryo on April 04, 2013, 11:35:02 AM
Thanx for the link to the portable RO/DI unit, Stussi613.

Already ordered.

Wanna go halvsies on it?   ;D
I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

The unit I posted the link to above is only "portable" because it comes with a faucet adapter. I actually found it from a video on YouTube - link below.  I like the idea of being able to make water from a garden hose connection in my garage in spring/summer and capturing the waste water for the garden...

All things considered, for the volume of water I'm going to need, I'll rely on on some of the fine folks on OVAS who have graciously offered to help me out with RO/DI water.

[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/4fr_GlZuf2c[/embed]
I haz reef tanks.

gerryo

It might be difficult to use it halfzies just now.  I currently live in Smiths Falls.

But will be moving in to Ottawa sometime this year, so could work out your using it after that.   8)

Greatwhite

Was that original link to a non-sponsor??  *gasp*

:)

I will be running my waste water line out to my rain barrel once I get it situated where I want it. Don't really need to hook onto a garden hose.

Those faucet adapters are available at most local hardware stores. I had a plastic one that cracked after about 3 uses, and bought a metal one.

gerryo

Yeah, even in this day of modern science and technology, some things still can't be bought in Ottawa.