Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hello again after a several year recess

Started by akaBillyPrefect, May 24, 2013, 11:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akaBillyPrefect

Hello.  I was a regular reader and occasional poster years ago, with a 29 gallon then a smaller (10 or 5?) gallon home built nano tank.  It was a great building experience, but just too many things failed over and over being all custom created.

Well I am back now.

I have just bought myself a 28 Gallon JBJ 105W quad CF all in one tank/filter.

It has the one quad dual bulb, along with a think 4 LED moon lights.  All seems functional - I am just cleaning it up now, going to run through some cold water, then rinse again and run some more.  Then I will mix up some salt and run that with an inch or so of sand bed. 

I am looking for any suggestions.  I am reading now a lot about LED lighting - will this quad CF work for now? Should I look at any LED retro fits or pump retro fits? 

Also where do I look for some live rock rubble or pieces ? Something to get things moving along while I save up for a 10 lb live rock buy.

Any tips would be appreciated.

gerryo

Hello Billy, and welcome back to the forum.

I have a JBJ 28g Nano Cube that started out with the Quad CF, but now has the Rapid LED retrofit and is finally working perfectly.  It also has the Reef Octopus 1000 HOB Skimmer now and this is the perfect one for this tank.  IMO.  Just ask Az at Aqua Valley.

I tried to adapt other skimmers to the tank but nothing would fit into the rear compartments.  This one with its pick up and discharge tubes, seperated as they are, fit nicely into the rear of this tank.

I also tried T5HO lighting but found that their penetration was not good enough for serious corals.  The Rapid Retrofit LED fixture fits snugly and easily into the existing top hood and even accommodates the Moonlights and the existing fans.

I think you can tell that I am extremely pleased with this tank now.

I also have some live rock that you can have.  PM me.