Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Disposal of live rock

Started by dnas17, June 07, 2013, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnas17

I have a 90 gallon tank full of live rock that I need removed ASAP and by asap I mean like in the next 24-48 hours. I was thinking of putting it in a barrel and letting it sit outside to dry out and turn into base rock but I just need some way of getting rid of this live rock. Anyone have any suggestions?

Nienna

Are you offering to give it away? I could make it disappear ;)

Darth

Quote from: dnas17 on June 07, 2013, 05:30:56 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank full of live rock that I need removed ASAP and by asap I mean like in the next 24-48 hours. I was thinking of putting it in a barrel and letting it sit outside to dry out and turn into base rock but I just need some way of getting rid of this live rock. Anyone have any suggestions?
yes you can do that, or sell it or give it away. If you want to dry it I would try lay it out and just make sure you rinse it really wel if you plan to use it again

redbelly

The fastest safest way to dispose of live rock is to make a post on this forum

"Free Live rock; First come first serve"

You wont have to do anything and your tank will be empty in just a few hours ;)

Darth

this is all assuming he wants it gone  completely and not just out of the tank

Nienna

If you are intending to keep it, just a quick warning - do not boil your live rock as it could kill all occupants in your house.

I am being serious btw.

dnas17

Wont be giving away the rock for free haha, I will probably just lay it outside when the weather gets nice and store it away for my own use.

Stussi613

Offering items for sale in the forums is against the forum rules dnas17, please don't do it again.

Stuart
Head of the Moderation Team
I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

Putting it in a barrel is not going to dry it out completely, and you'll end up worse off because of mold.  Spread it out on a tarp on a sunny day and let it bake dry.  It might even take a couple days to dry "completely", and then store it in something without a lid in a garage.

I know that there's lots of people looking for some nice, seasoned live rock though...  If you are sure that you will have a use for it later - coolbeans.. But if you are open to selling/trading it off - classifieds are great.  There are other sites that you can post free on (Kijiji/etc) if it is something that you'd want to do.