Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

lighting for plant growth

Started by annie88, November 15, 2005, 01:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annie88

Have a 20 gal. tank with 6 fancy guppies that is looking very bare.  would like to add some live plants (which are the easiest to maintain) and what type of lighting would be required?Thanks.

BigDaddy

I am assuming that you have a standard fluorescent fixture over your twenty gallon.  (Probably an 18 inch or 24 inch bulb).

Without having to pay for more lighting, you can easily plant

Java moss
Java fern
Anubias
Crypts
and
Any floating plant.

Most of these you can likely get from members here on the forum.  You can also get them at the fish stores.

Hope this helps, and welcome aboard.

mseguin

NjOyRiD

Welcome on ovas, if you are interested, i have so small java fern for sale, or we can trade :d later
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

annie88

Thank you everyone for your expertise.  I obviously need to purchase a fluorescent light  before I invest in plants -   Can anyone recommend the best place to get one? Thanks in advance.

darkdep

Hi Annie, Welcome to Ovas!

What do you have over your tank now for lighting?

Jim

is your current hood for incandesent bulbs?

annie88

Presently have canopy with 2-25 (marine) aquarium bulbs.

darkdep

Are those fluorescent or incandescent tho?

annie88

These 2 bulbs are not flourescent.  Am fairly new to aquarium setup etc., have a piece of drift wood (6 inches long), 3 plastic plants, 2 yellow snails and 6 guppies.  Very boring.  Would like to add some live plants but am on a fixed income so would need to buy whatever 2 nd. hand but what exactly do I need lighting wise and perhaps should run ad in the classified. Thanks.

redbelly

if those 2 bulbs are not floresant the dont bother with them.
you will need some floresant bulbs.

you said you were on a fixed budget, but are you handy? building your own hood is cheap. the wood and hinges will cost you about 20 for a small tank. then put in your own balast and end caps.

BigDaddy

Quote from: "annie88"These 2 bulbs are not flourescent.  Am fairly new to aquarium setup etc., have a piece of drift wood (6 inches long), 3 plastic plants, 2 yellow snails and 6 guppies.  Very boring.  Would like to add some live plants but am on a fixed income so would need to buy whatever 2 nd. hand but what exactly do I need lighting wise and perhaps should run ad in the classified. Thanks.

You can go to home depot and get the screw in fluorescents for your hood.  It will give you enough light for the low light plants listed above.

I believe those bulbs will only cost about $20 for a pair.

annie88

Thank you everyone who responded, am on my way to home depot.