Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

such a thing as too big a skimmer?

Started by akaBillyPrefect, June 27, 2013, 11:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akaBillyPrefect

I have a 28 gallon JBJ all in one tank.  I bought a Reef Octopus 100 F skimmer.  Is this too much of a skimmer, I mean will I still pull gunk out with this skimmer even though it's rated for well over 100 gallons?

Darth

you can never have too big a skimmer

Herstead

Quote from: Darth on June 29, 2013, 07:49:53 PM
you can never have too big a skimmer

Well your system volume has to be able to fill said skimmer. So if you have a skimmer that holds 10g on a 5g system you may have issues.
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

akaBillyPrefect

28 JBJ and the Reef Octopus BH-100F - I think it's volume is kicking around 4 gallons. The reason I ask is that I am having a hard time getting it to skim.  Except of course when I didn't want it to skim out all of the chemo-clean, then it worked like a champ.

Aquaticfinatic

I'd say its to big. There is the rule of never to big but to a point. Your over 3 times what your tank needs which means it won't pull for some of the time as its nothing there to pull. I'd go a little closer to the tank size if I was you. Just my 2 cents  :)

Darth

Quote from: Herstead on June 29, 2013, 08:33:04 PM
Well your system volume has to be able to fill said skimmer. So if you have a skimmer that holds 10g on a 5g system you may have issues.
why would you have issues, there would just be more water voulume

Also maybe try lowering the cup, and it depends on your bioload as well there are lot of variables here. but in my opinion bigger is better