Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Java fern question...

Started by manytanks, November 16, 2005, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manytanks

In our planted 65 gallon, the java ferns we recently acquired from the new Petcetera on St. Laurent are not doing very well at all. They seemed healthy enough when we bought them but now the leaves are getting somewhat yellow, semi-transparent, and eventually going black and just withering away. We've got a CF with 110 watts (new bulbs, too) and fertilize every day. Is it possible to provide java ferns with too much light? I'm not keen to  increase the fertilizer, since we've got areas of green algea on the glass (but nowhere else - and no blue-green stuff, either).

Everything else in the tank (crypts, swords, assorted vals, etc.) seems healthy enough. Any suggestions?

repeej

you sure you need that much fertilizer?

darkdep

Did you put the Java Fern in the substrate or attach it to rocks?

How much fertilizer are you using and what kinds?

110w over a 65 isn't that much light, that shouldn't be the issue at all.

NjOyRiD

have you cheked your iron? I dont know, but i think you are giving too much fert! I put some once a week!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

kennyman

As long as the rhizomes and roots are healthy the plants will produce new leaves that are suited to the new environment. Like Dark said keep the plant up out of the substrate.

If your ferting alot you should be on the Estimative Index program. High levels of some elements and compounds will alter the uptake of others. The leftovers from the ferts will get away on you ;)

BigDaddy

I've noticed too that Java Ferns like some current running along them.

I had two ferns in either end of a tank with low filtration.  The one furthest from the filter output did exactly the same description as yours but did grow new leaves eventually.

The one that had a mild current on it did much better, given all the same other tank parameters.

frollo

It could be ph shock...your water conditions may different from the store. I've noticed that East end shops have acidic water and west end shops are more alkaline.

Forgive me if this is a silly comment...I don't know how the plants were packaged, but if it was banded around some rock wool, did you take all that stuff off before adding it in your aquarium? If not, then, this might be the culprit to their demise.

mseguin

I've found that Java fern sometimes seems to suffer from a for mof rot when placed in a new tank, similar to crypt rot. Remove any leaves that are dying, this definteily helps.