Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Feeding Fish zoo med bugs ???

Started by StylinT, November 18, 2005, 08:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StylinT

Hey guys I just bought a can of the zoo med's jumbo size canO' grasshoppers an i was wondering if its good to feed to my oscars ??? if not it can go to the lizard I am just second gussing myself
it says on the can Ideal for reptiles birds an fishing ??? is that just baiut or would pet fish be ok to ? there is no additives or anything just grasshoppers ???
any ideas ?

Mettle

I've fed crickets to my larger cichlids when I have them. And I know in the wild a lot of South and Central American cichlids eat quite a lot of bugs and insets that make it to the water's surface. I've fed my turtle the same thing you're talking about, except the silkworms and not the grasshoppers.

I'm not familiar with the grasshoppers and what they come out of the can looking like... But my only concern would be the grasshopper legs as I know they can pose an issue for some reptiles, even.

Otherwise I say go for it. It's good for them... Though regardless of what you're feeding (fish or reptiles) the gutloaded live version is better for them.

darkdep

Give it a shot.  Every bug I can find now I throw into my big african tank, and they have eaten everything I've thrown in so far.